Chapter 20: Sweet Brooklyn

Thirteen. I was thirteen when I moved into my Aunt Lindsey's house. She was still with her husband then, Stephen, he was the only one who actually showed me kindness and treated me with respect.

Stephen was cool. He showed me the music I still listen to today, he also taught me how to draw and write stories. He spent more time with me than his actual wife, which was quite sad as he always tried to make time for her, but she wouldn't do the same.

She was addicted to work.

Anyway, it took two years to track them down, so for those two years I remained in a care home. Worst two years of my life, but we'll come to my wonderful 'foster kid' life another time.

I remember the day I moved in so vividly. The house was beautiful. It had a Victorian edge to it. I remember that day in particular was quite sunny, and under the sun it was astonishing as it showed a pure, new, clean whiteness of the building. However, the white paint also made me feel cold and somewhat empty.

It had two floors. Windows were shown mostly on the front of the building, and two large windows popped out on the left and right of the building. Although there was a lot of windows, surprisingly the windows didn't crowd the front of the house, and actually made it more unique due to the windows different yet elegant shape and tints and colour.

But the part which intrigued me the most of this grand house was the yard. In the middle of the stone pathway which led to acres and acres of land ahead was a large, white, ceramic fountain. It was one of those modern ones which would bubble then gradually rise into a massive bubbling pole of water. I then put my hand hand on the pole of water and started laughing due to the coldness and thrill.

I then froze. Could I hear wind chimes?

The wind chimes started singing such a beautiful song in the cool summer breeze. I always loved wind chimes, they reminded me of my mother oddly enough. Her laugh was like a beautiful wind chime. That's when I started walking away from the house to the acres of land.

As I ventured the yard and it's acres, I noticed there was a variety of plants, flowers and trees, with different colours, scattered everywhere. This gave colour to the colourless building. There were roses, sunflowers, sweet peas, marigolds, fuchsias, pansies, apple trees, red maple trees, cherry trees, olive trees, honestly it was like a sea of colours!

I then spotted a tree which I fell in love with instantly as not only was it a beautiful tree, it was the only tree which had wind chimes on it.

It was a beautiful, pink blossom tree.

My face lot up and I ran towards the tree with such joy.

A cold hand with sharp nails then grasped my shoulders and pulled me back.

~ • ~

"Mnm," I groaned, rubbing my eyes. Oh I thought I got kidnapped, but it seems I didn't. I mean, it feels like my bed.

"She's awake!" Chirped an unfamiliar voice. I took my hands of my eyes and opened my eyes.

"Hey human! Want a centipede?" Asked one of grinning familiars. "GAH!" I shrieked, shuffling back into a wall, hurting my poor back.

I whimpered, then I heard a creak.

"Good morning, Brooke! Thank you for saving me the other day and yesterday," greeted a young white haired boy. He had piercing green eyes and such a pale face. Was this Mizuki?

"And you are, exactly?" I yawned, stretching my arms and legs.

"I am Mizuki, the familiar of the Yonomori shrine." So I was right. This was the psycho I'm marrying? Great.