A handful of Shadows {Twenty One}

*Henry’s POV*

Ollie loved me. I’m not sure why the thought was so addictive, but my mind refused to stray from it. He’d told me so. Only once, but I knew it had to be true, because he’d looked so pained saying it. That was okay. I’d teach him what love really was. I was going to take care of him.

I watched him, sleeping as close to peacefully as he could get. He hated it here, in this hospital. I knew he did. I think… I really didn’t know much about his mother or how she died, but I think it has to do with that. I heard once she looked just like him. She must have been very beautiful.

I lean foreward and kiss his temple. As if, even in his sleep, he knew my presence the heart rate moniter started pattering faster. I grinned, but it quickly fell away. Well it was tiem for a long chat with my parents. Yes, they were going to learn I was gay. I didn’t want them to yet, but I had an important reason…

We were adopting Ollie. I didn’t care how much fighting it would take.

He was mine, simple as that. Was I even going to consider letting child services ship him off to some hateful group home? Hell no. I’d rather walk startk naked leading the pride parade on national television then let that happen. So telling my parents.. Wouldn’t be fun. But I’d live with it.

“I’ll be back” I assure the sleeping boy. I pause “With flowers… and balloons..”

Then it’s time to leave. I tell the trainee nurse-the one who helped me the first night-to tell Ollie I’d be back if he woke up and I wans’t there. I really didn’t want that though, so I’d hurry. He’d be scared here, all alone…

But he’d been better. Did it have to do with me? He’d been acting like himself for the few hours he was cocnious today. He’d even complained about the hospital cothes, saying that someone should design something more cheerful. I’d told him he looked cute no matter what.

I stopped at the front door to my house. Time for a long concersation…

“Mom? Dad?” I ask, entering the kitchen where I first kissed Ollie.. Even on the nose.

My mom was already in there. She was angyr with me, you could tell by the way she turned to look at me. That was for good reason.. She had no idea that I’d been in the hospital these last few days. I’d simply texted her telling her I was busy and helping a friend.

“Henry! You have no idea how much trouble you are in young man!” she shouted, folding her arms over her chest. Dinner sat cooking on the over, and after four days of hospital food, it smelled heavenly… but I doubted I’d have time to eat. I just had to tell them then get back to Ollie..

“No” I sighed “I think I do. But we need to talk. Me you and dad” the twins didn’t need to hear this yet.

Something must of shown on my face because her own softened, and she clicked off the meal. I walked into the living room and sat down on the chair, letting her go get dad. I was shaking… great. My whole speech revolved around ‘being gay doesn’t mean I’m not your son’ and I was cowering like a girl.

“Henry? You finally decided to join us?” my father asked, annoyed.

I gulp “Yes sir.. And I have some…news…”

“And that would be?” he raises an eyebrow.

How do you soften the blow? I reverse the situation, look at this through their eye’s and see that there is no softening the blow. Their oldest son, who has an unspoken role of being role model for the younger children in a catholic home, who has never showed an intreast in guys, is gay.