A handful of Shadows {Seventeen}

*Quinn’s POV*

I know I’d initiated this entire thing. I also know Tyson was only doing this to humour me, let me have happiness for a few days, give me something of a vacation. Which meant I had to hide my discomfort as best as I could-show him I could handle things.

That was difficult. The first night hadn’t been so bad-misquotes had made us into their dinner and the wolves howling in the distance scared me, but we’d been in the country side, and had even slept in soemones barn. Using the back roads had been a good idea.

The second night was worse. It had rained and we’d been in the middle of another town. Short of options we’d slept in an alley way, if you could call it sleeping. I think Tyson slept about three hours, the rest of which he insisted on staying up to watch over me, not that I could sleep anyways.

Tonight we were in a different twon altogether. It wasn’t actually dark out yet, but it was well past dinner time and my stomahc rumbled dully. I was more concerned about where to sleep though-this town was bigger then the last. If we slept in the open something would almost certaintly go wrong.

“We could go back..” Tyson urged me, examining my face.

I glower “And be abused for being in love? No thanks”

He sighs and puts an arm over me. I lean into him and we continoue walking, looking for a cheap motel or somewhere we could risk breaking into. By the time the moon was up we’d had no such luck and I was getting edgy. What if we were mugged?

“Tyson?” I ask, tired and hungy and cold. He hold em closer.

“Yes Quinny baby?” he replies, kissing the tip of my nose.

“I’m scared…” I say, eye’s getting heavy with sleep.

“We’ll find somewhere, and if we don’t, we’ll go home” he tells me assuringly.

I snuggle into his side “We don’t have a home…”

“Maybe we could live together at Nadiene’s…?” he suggests.

I shake my head “Mom and dad.. They’d fight for custody …and win…”

I watch his jaw line tighten “I know… I just… wish it wasn’t like this”

I lean up and kiss him dead on the lips, right in the middle of the road, and it feels wonderful. His hold strengthens and I know that tonight no matter where we end up sleeping, I’ll be in his arms. I wrap myself around him, arms going around his neck to hold him in place.

“Mmm” he grutns against my lips. His fingers dig into my sides.

“Ahem…” a voice says, making us jump apart by habbit. I wipe my mouth and turn to the source.

A girl and boy stand a little away, looking very much like ourselves. Back packs slung over their shoulders, hair not freshly washed, heavy bags under their eye’s. The girl is oriental with large brown slanted eye’s well the boy is overly tall and awkwardly hunched over.

“Weird question.. But are you two.. Umm.. Are you runaways?”the girl continued.

Me and Tyson exchange blank stares. Were we that obvious?

“Me and Heath here are runaways to, so it’s not that hard to notice when other people are… I’m guessing you’re looking for a place to stay?” she keps talking. I watch her, awed into silence. Other runaway kids just walked up to each other and started chatting? “Because we’re sleeping in the abandoned theatre tonight and it’s not so bad of a place. A little dusty, but..”