Part 23

Chapter 22

The road we travelled along was smooth and never ending. The car was quiet but it didn't stop the arguments in my head. Scott may have convinced me to travel with him to some secret destination but it didn't mean I was ready to forgive him or that he had gained my trust. That wasn't why I argued with myself though. The biggest thought running through my mind was why I cared so much.

I couldn't understand it. Scott listened as I told him my biggest secret and then he disappeared for nearly two weeks. Why it bothered me so much and why I was so overjoyed to see him again, I didn't know why? No one had ever consumed my thoughts as much as Scott had. No one has had me feeling every possible emotion all at once as much as Scott has. No one has made me feel so cherished, cared for and unwanted as much as Scott.

No one has made me trust as much as Scott has.

I couldn't understand it. Scott made me want to kiss him and choke him all at the same time. He had my head spinning, my heart pounding and my stomach flipping. He made me want to cry during a rain storm and laugh at cheesy commercials.

He made me feel and after years of feeling numb to life; I finally felt like I had something worth living for.

I just couldn't understand how one man had managed to worm his way so deep in to my life.

"We're here," Scott's voice interrupted my inner debate and I looked at him in confusion. He pointed ahead of him at a small wooden cabin that stood hidden amongst a forest of trees and bushes. "This is my family's cabin that my parents bought five years ago. I wanted to be alone with you so I thought this would be the perfect place."

He seemed nervous. He constantly rubbed at his tense neck muscles and unclenched and clenched his fists against the steering wheel. He wouldn't look at me and I found the entire show utterly adorable. I gave him a quick smile when his eyes met mine and he gave a sweet short breath of relief. I reached for the car door but his arm quickly shot across and stopped my movements. "Don't move."

I stared at him and watched as he jumped out of the car and ran around towards my side. He stood grinning outside my door and with a chivalrous bow, he opened my door. I giggled like an adolescent girl on her first date and gave him a small curtsy. He stretched his arm out for me to slip my own through and once my skin touched his, he led us towards the small cabin.

Darkness was falling bringing along with it a humid and stuffy atmosphere. The setting of the sun cast a gorgeous orange haze to float around us. It was a picturesque setting that had my heart pounding fast against my rib cage like the steady beat of a rave song.

"What are we doing here Scott?" I asked once we reached the front door.

He grinned and reached for the door handle. "While I was away, I realised something." He slid the door open slowly and my eyes followed his movements with confusion. When they settled on the open house, I gasped and covered my mouth with shaky fingers. The cabin doorway was decorated with tealight candles that were neatly lined up on both sides to create a dim aisle that lead to an even more magical sight. The further I walked down the aisle, the closer I got to the living room. In the centre of the room laid a pale green blanket and on top it sat one large weaved picnic basket. The blanket sat in the centre of a large circle created by more candles and rose petals.

It was cliché' but absolutely beautiful all the same.

I released a shaky breath and continued to stare at the scene in front of me. I had no words. I felt Scott's presence behind me before I heard him speak; his voice a low whisper against my neck. "You see, I realised that I hadn't had a chance to give you the kind of date you deserve." He walked ahead of me until he stood directly in front of me; his eyes piercing my own. "That last date, it was too much; even for me. I was so nervous for our date that I asked my family for advice. I wanted it to be the most romantic date you had ever been on. All I wanted to do was show you how special you were to me and I screwed up. It was far too extravagant for you and I knew it but, my mother suggested the restaurant and I thought she would know better than I about the perfect date. Anyway, this," he pointed towards the picnic, "This is the date I originally had in mind for us. I know it's a bit late now but I was hoping this could be my way of asking for your forgiveness."