Part 8

Chapter 7

"The store is looking better." I watched as my mother strolled leisurely around the empty store.

It was nearing evening and the sun had just set; causing the sky to come alive with resplendent colours. The weekend had arrived and though; my dinner with Scott was due in a few hours, I found myself stuck in my store desperately trying to get my pestering mother to leave.

I followed her eyes as they travelled around the store. Progress had been made, though very little. With the primer being painted and set, the men had moved on to applying the wallpaper. We had agreed to complete the store in stages; having the front of the store as the first stage. Though it still stood empty of furniture, the lumpy floor was now evened out by the placement of cream tiles and the walls were now covered in soft bubble-gum pink and lilac striped wallpaper. The room looked cheerful and sweet- exactly the kind of atmosphere I hoped to provide come opening.

I followed my mother out the store and turned to lock the door. "It looks more like a sweet store now with the wallpaper up," I commented as I slid the bolt in place.

"I agree. You made a good choice sweetie. It definitely feels like you."

I turned to face my mother, placing the key in my back pants pocket. "What do you mean?" I asked.

My mother smiled and looped her arm through mine. "It's cheerful and almost childlike. It reminds me of you."

"Are you saying I'm childish mother?"

She laughed faintly, "Goodness no, in fact you're possibly too mature for your age. What I mean is that there is a childlike quality about you; an innocence if you'd call it. It shows through in the layout and design of your store. It practically screams for children to come inside and go wild."

Though my mother stood grinning at me, I felt anything but comforted by her words. "Somehow none of what you just said makes me feel better."

She carefully patted my shoulder. "You're taking it the wrong way Piper. All I'm trying to say is that the store is a reflection of you and, both are amazing."

I smiled, feeling partly better. "Thank you mom, I'm glad you like it. You know there's a place for you when it's open."

We were walking slowly, arm in arm down Main Street. My mother looked away at my comment and instead stared at the horizon before us. I too looked at the twilight sky which had just appeared; splashing the sky with a splendid haze of dark violet and lavender with just a whisper of yellow and navy blue. It was a masterpiece to look at and I was momentarily struck with a deep sense of regret. It had been long since I last enjoyed the beauty of my town. It had to have been three months prior but, as such is life, things had changed since then.

"I enjoy my job Piper," my mother's voice broke through my saddened thoughts and I quickly looked away from the sky and towards her stiff face.

"I'm offering you a chance to work with me, to be with me every day. I can't believe you're turning it down." My voice raised an octave and my mother glared at me.

"Do not pick now to have a fight. I have already told you that I do not want to leave the school."

I yanked my arm away from hers and folded it across my chest. I pouted like a child having a tantrum and came to a stop on the side of the street. My mother eventually stopped too and faced me with a displeased expression. "You're near your retirement, is it not time to let someone else take over?"

My mother gasped and I quickly realised how insulting I had just been. "I am not near retirement." I blushed. "As for leaving, I have already told you that I do not want to leave my children."