Sixteen: By hook or by crook

The six young men listened in awe - sometimes with their mouths agape - as Brian, helped along by the professor went through the contents of his book in less than two hours. Jack had already brought them up all speed the day before and it was up to Brian to go through the nitty gritty; essentially what his plan was and what Jack's team's role in the saga would be. But with time being more than a luxury none could least afford, Brian picked out the most crucial bits - like why the vanishings happened and what the world's men had to do to bring the women back.

  So, as early as 6:30am the boys were roused from their sleep and by 7:00am they were marshalled into the lounge area to hear Brian talk, after which the real work would begin in earnest. 

  'And that my dear fellows is the meat of the gist - or however you guys say it on the streets.' Brian finished off placing his book next to him. He was sitting next to the professor on a two-seater sofa  with Mark, Lee and Adrian flanking them to the left and Rajev, Billy and Shane to their right. Jack was already privy to Brian's weird tale so he busied himself with some other tasks on the floor. 

  'Wow! that's the most incredible thing I've ever heard,' Rajev quipped. 'But still..I'm not so sure...not that I don't believe you sir...it's just...' he scratched his head looking utterly confused.

  'I know the feeling Rajev,' Brian stepped in with a smile, 'it took a long time for me to accept my visions were true and when I did finally put my doubt aside and told my mother, she said I had a very rare gift and a responsibility to tell the world.' 

  'What's there not to be believe Raj?' a disconsolate looking Mark said. 'Why can we even doubt what Mr Fanning had said after all we've seen?' He gave a deep sigh, 'I'm in, whatever is required of me sir I will do...no questions asked.'

  'Thanks Mark,' said a sincerely grateful Brian. 

  'Me too..I'm in a hundred percent,' said Lee who was joined by his team-mates including Rajev in pledging their support for the cause. Not that they had a choice since they were MI5 operatives sworn to do their utmost in defence of her Majesty who incidentally was amongst the vanished. But it was far better to obtain their unrequited loyalty in these depressing times if Brian was to be successful in his mission.

  Now it was the professor's turn to talk. 'So,  I guess you're wondering where we go from here? Well, Brian and I have drawn up a list of the things we need to do to get the ball rolling. Now this is just for starters - bits and bobs our group will conduct in this building. The more...um...complex stuff we'll leave to the military to deal with.'

  'The military?' Billy asked with a suprised frown.

  'Yes...the military, and by this I mean the amed forces of the United Kingdom, the United States and other countries who come along for the ride and ready to put in the resources at their disposal to end this madness.'  Professor Johnson handed each a piece of paper on which he'd jotted down his notes which the boys consumed with their eyes.

  'My God...but this looks like we're going to war...are we going to war?' Rajev asked with eyes nearly popping out their sockets.

  'Possibly - if the groups or countries named on the list don't play ball. However, it would be a last resort measure, not the first option, that is if we can avoid a situation whereby some men decide to say no,' Brian said in his most reassuring voice. 'First we locate tthe names on the list, find out what they're up to and leave the rest to the governments to deal with. Obviously these men would be hurting too but where we have a plan to bring our women back, these terrorists, warlords and criminals won't have a clue what to do; so don't be surprised to see them causing more mayhem as the days go by. This is something we cannot afford - more chaos that is, because the longer it goes on the higher the possibility we may never see our women again.' Brian paused for the professor to continue.