Chapter 28

Lydia ran back to a still Stiles, dropping to both of her knees, studying his handsome face for a quick second. He was still warm, his cheeks still had a tint of a red, his lips still a soft pink, his nose a bit of red from the cold around them, his eyelashes full and long beaming as the sun hit them. And Lydia reached out a caressed his soft cheek with the back of her hand, mumbling sweet words to him. Lydia put her head against his chest, listening for a heartbeat. She couldn't hear anything, and a sudden panic feeling burned inside of her. It was as if someone had lit a fire inside of her and she couldn't get out. She quickly grabbed his right wrist, looking for a pulse, never looking away from his pale sweet face, but she felt a very faint pulse, alms it as if it were nothing. And the burning sensation just grew bigger.

"Come on Stiles," Lydia whispered to him as she cupped his face into her precious little hands. "I need you here," she said as she let go and listened for his heart again, hoping to hear an actual heartbeat. This time she stayed there for more than two seconds and she swore she heart a slow beat this time, but at least it was something. "There we go," Lydia said as the flame inside of her died down and a smile appeared on her face. She kept listening, and with every beat, it came stronger, faster. "Okay, you're doing great babe, now I need you to open your eyes. Can you do that for me?" Lydia asked as she looked up at him, as if he wasn't unconscious and just sleeping. Lydia looked off I to the distance and but her lip. "I'll be right back." She mumbled to him as she got up and ran into the woods. She swore she saw a river when they drove by. As Lydia ran, she looked at all her surroundings, and then she heard a twig snap under her, startling her. Lydia stopped looked around, then she started to pant as she continued to walk and as she approached a big oak tree she saw Scott running.

"Scott," Lydia shouted, making Scott slow down and look towards her. "I told you to find Allison!" Scott jogged over to her, out of breath.

"I have, but this forest seems a lot more difficult to get out of than to get in." He panted in frustration. That's when he looked at the tree Lydia was standing next to. "I knew it," Scott said as he walked towards Lydia, pulling out a piece of yellow cloth from a hole in the tree. "I've been running in circles." Scott waved the yellow cloth in her face, and Lydia pushed it out of the way.

"Scott listen to me," Lydia said. "We need to go get Stiles, and then find Allison."

"Why don't we find Allison first?" Scott asked. "You are the one who said I needed to find her." Scott said in a concerned tone.

"Scott just trust me," Lydia snapped at him. "I have a plan." She quieted down and walked away. Scott followed in silence, looking up as if he could sense something. "What's wrong Scott?" Lydia asked bad she slowed down and turned towards him. Only then did Lydia realize how much this was affecting him. He had black circles under his eyes, his hair a mess, and he didn't walk with confidence anymore, his feet just dragged now. He was exhausted.

"It's just, I feel like I could hear Allison." Scott said, his eyes looking into the distance, longing for it to be true. "But every time I listen closely there isn't a sound." Scott tried to explain but frustration just grew in him and he clenched his jaw together. Lydia grabbed him by the shoulders and looked up at him.

"Scott, I promise you. I won't let anything happen to Allison." Lydia said with confidence. "She died for me once, and I'm willing to do the same. Do you understand?" Lydia searched Scott's eyes. He nodded and pulled her into a hug. They pulled apart and they both walked in silence. Time went by and Lydia finally stopped and looked at a couscous Stiles who had sat up and was leaning his head on his knees. "Stiles," Lydia mumbled as she ran to him, embracing him.

"Hey Lyds," Stiles said returning the hug before giving her a kiss on the cheek. "Scott," he said looking at Scott.

"Hey man," Scott said as he walked over to him and gave him and fist bump. "So what's the plan?" Scott asked anxiously.

"Her," Lydia said looking passed Scott. Scott turned around and saw the last person he wanted to see, Kira. He growled in disgust.

"Very good Lydia, how did you know?" Kira asked, genuinely shocked.

"Didn't you know, a banshee could hear voices?" Lydia said sarcastically, a mischievous smile forming on her slim face. Kira chucked a little and shook her head.

"Well there's one flaw in your plan, I won't help you." Kira said plainly. Scott looked at Lydia, confusion in his eyes. Lydia just looked at him, reassuring him with her eyes.

"That's where you're wrong Kira?" Lydia said as she looked back at Kira. "You see I called for a favor from a dear friend of mine and guess what, he accomplished it." Lydia said smiling again. "Derek!" Lydia shouted. Derek emerged from behind them with tall petite woman who looked exactly like Kira.

"Kendra?" Kira gasped. The woman looked up at Kira with surprise and then up at Derek.

"Derek?" The lady questioned.

"You said you wanted to find your sister, well here she is." Derek said in a calm voice. Then Kira started to laugh. Lydia's face went to stone and everyone looked at Kira as though she was crazy.

"You think I care about Kendra?" Kira said in amusement. "I barely know the woman." Kira said as she started to crack up again. "But you know what, good try." She said as she wiped a tear away. Kendra just looked away in pain. Kira took a deep breath and composed herself.

"What happened to you?" Scott asked in disbelief. And Kira gave him a sad smile.

"I was hurt," Kira said plainly as if she had come to terms to who she was. "And I want you to feel the exact same way I felt."

"This is enough." Scott said softly. "I already feel what you felt." He said taking a step towards Kira. "The desperation, that feeling when everything is crumbling around you and you have no idea what to do. When you just want to run off and hide. I feel it." Kira closed her eyes, taking a deep breath. And for the first time, Scott saw how broken she was.

"That's not enough." Kira said as she shook her head with a small smile. "You have three hours," Kira said as she started to walk away, wrapping her jacket closer.

"For what?" Scott shouted after her. Kira stopped and turned her head slightly, just enough to see over her shoulder.

"To find your son and Allison." She said calmly. "And to find Aiden and Melony." She voiced as she looked at Lydia. Lydia stood up slowly and stared at Kira.

"What did you do?" Lydia asked through clenched teeth.

"Nothing yet," Kira said. "I'll give you a hint though. They're on opposite ends of the woods. Allison on my right Aiden on my left. If you spend the time wisely you might have a chance to save them both. If not, you'll only be able to save one. Choose wisely." And with that Kira turned her head back and walked away. Lydia bolted after her, but was caught by a speedy Derek. Lydia looked up at him with anger.

"This is what she wants you to do. Don't waste your time on her." Derek said a bit harshly. Lydia squirmed out of Derek's arms and stomped her way towards Scott.

"What now?" She said in a harsh tone. Scott blinked away from where Kira stood and down at Lydia.

"We start looking."