Chapter 17

Two years later

To watch the ceremony happening in front of her was too surreal. This was what was supposed to happen. This was what was good for her. Tobin herself was dating someone now, but she was playing for a club in Germany and couldn't be her plus one for the weekend. It was awkward being here, watching this happen. But yet here she was.

"You okay?" she heard Lauren whisper in her ear as the couple in front exchanged their "I do"s.

Tobin nodded as she held back a shaky breath. "Fine."

"You may now kiss the bride."

The kiss caused something to tug at Tobin's heart, but she tried to push the feeling aside as she clapped with her teammates and the rest of the audience gathered here today. This applause wasn't the normal stage for the woman in front. This wasn't the Olympics, or the World Cup or even their NWSL games. This was a wedding in which the face of women's soccer was getting married.

Tobin watched her teammates cheer and scream until her eyes met Hope's. She was with Jerramy, who still sort of freaked Tobin out. Hope gave her a look, as if asking Tobin if she had made the right decision.

Tobin and Alex weren't Hope and Kelley. They'd both moved on. Alex was happily married to a man who loved her and could give her everything she'd need. Tobin was dating someone who wasn't always in the spotlight. Perfect fix.

After Hope's gaze broke away from Tobin, she followed the keeper's gaze to Kelley, who had Christen's arm wrapped around her waist tightly. Kelley was clapping and hollering at Alex while Christen's lips were pressed against her cheek. Tobin felt a pang for Hope. Years gone and she still regretted her decision.

Two years and Tobin was fine.

She turned her attention back to Alex, smiling a little to herself. Then, just for a moment, a thought crossed her mind.

What if it was me instead of him?
-----
Author's note: This was a preview of the final chapter! Sorry for the delayed updates but I hope you liked it!