Chapter 15

A/N: Sorry for taking so long, hope you enjoy it!
-----
Another friendly, another win.

It was almost as if Mexico had stopped trying after the third goal. Another win was great for the team. Tobin enjoyed throwing herself into a game, leaving everything else on the sidelines. She enjoyed being focused on the ball and being aware of where her teammates were. She enjoyed being so focused on creating opportunities and looking out for her teammates. But that didn't happen. At this game, it was almost too easy. Tobin had almost wished Sermanni switched up all their positions so she could have something else to think about for a change. The easy game left plenty of open space in her thoughts, letting her wander. It wasn't good. Though being on the field to see her favorite newcomer score was a plus, Tobin couldn't stop thinking about her and Alex. Alex and her. What to do.

"Here, autographs," Heif ordered her, placing a sharpie in her hand.

"Got it," Tobin nodded, giving him a weak smile before jogging off to meet some fans. They were a welcome distraction, reminding Tobin why she loved the sport so much. She couldn't wipe the grin off her face when she spotted some of her jerseys being worn in the crowd of fans awaiting her signature. She was able to lose herself in taking picture and signing long enough to temporarily forget the debate in her mind.

All too soon, Heif was calling her back. She sighed, signing one last soccer ball before capping the sharpie and jogging back to where Heif awaited, trying to rally the players back. As her eyes wandered around, they found Alex, the one who undoubtedly would be last off the field. It was always her - and most of the time Hope or Abby - trying to sign and take as many pictures as possible.

Watching Alex interact with fans brought a smile to Tobin's face. She was so sweet and genuine with all of them, always smiling when she was around. Tobin watched as everyone crowded and maybe pushed others to try to get to her girlfriend. She watched as young teenagers tried to sprint around to try to get to her before it was too late. There was no denying it - the public loved Alex. Tobin could always tell by the way they all screamed way louder for her if she was announced in the starting eleven. Guys were fawning over her - Tobin saw it now by the way a teenage boy eagerly wrapped his arm around her shoulder for a picture. She saw how little girls completely adored and idolized Alex as one girl that couldn't have been any older than seven held up her soccer ball to sign and Alex took it, talking to the young girl who looked extremely nervous. Tobin could imagine the voice now, she'd heard Alex use it so many times when they'd come across younger fans. Something Alex said made the little girl smile and Alex picked her up so they could take a picture together. Tobin found it adorable.

She also knew this was a main reason why Alex was even more committed to stay in professional soccer - the younger generation. She was a guidance for them, and they'd look forward to stepping into Alex's shoes one day. She was a role model without even asking to be one. It just so happened Alex was the one the public picked to be the face of women's soccer, and she had to accept that.

Which was why she couldn't come out.

If Alex ever did, parents would stop letting their daughters support her, meaning Alex wouldn't get as much money. The public would see her in a whole different light. It wasn't the same as Pinoe coming out, no. It was Alex. Alex was supposed to be a straight soccer player who little girls looked up to. She was supposed to be a boy-loving, male-dating girl. But she wasn't. Or was she...and she was just experimenting? What if this whole thing was a test run  for Alex? And who better to do it with than her best friend, because they're already so close? The thoughts made Tobin sick.

But then again...what if by some crazy chance, the public accepted it their choice? What if they still loved Alex just as much as they did now - maybe even more for coming out? What if this wasn't a test run of Alex, what if she really felt something as strong as Tobin felt for her?