Chapter 3

That night Tobin did a lot of thinking. Even when she nodded to Julie that would was ready to go to bed, she knew she wouldn't get as much sleep as she'd like. She was still a bit thrown off from her last few moments in Alex's hotel room. There was no way she could believe that she had the intention of kissing her best friend, regardless of the consequences. The moment replayed in her mind for about the tenth time in the dark of her hotel room. They had fallen into a comfortable silence, just looking at each other. Her eyes darted to those pink lips and couldn't tear away from them for more than a few seconds. She had leaned in and was about to meet those pair of lips when Ali burst in.

Tobin had decided that it was in fact a very good thing Ali had come in when she did. Who knew what could've happened. It could've wrecked their friendship. Alex could've gotten really angry. Alex would never want to speak to her again. For a minute, the thought that Alex could've kissed back occurred, but only made Tobin laugh softly. She's straight and is probably trying to fix things with Servando back home. What chance does that give me?She turned on her side to look at Julie, hoping she didn't wake the younger girl up. She was glad to see the blonde was sleeping soundly, completely unaffected by Tobin's laugh.

So...perhaps it was possible Tobin did have feelings for Alex. Now what? She couldn't tell Alex. That wouldn't be right at all. Especially when Tobin wasn't even sure herself how this had all come about. Should she tell any of her teammates? Her closest friends? Since when did she even like girls this way? Everything was so jumbled in Tobin's head. Should I tell Lauren?

No, she wouldn't tell anyone about this. She couldn't. She had to figure everything out for herself. That would be the only way she believed she could work through it successfully. Then maybe she could confide in someone. Satisfied with this, she then tried to figure out how to be subtle around Alex while she was figuring everything out.

The answer never came though, for sleep overtook her thoughts and then next thing she heard was Julie's alarm for the morning.

"It's six already?" Tobin asked tiredly into her pillow.

"Yeah, breakfast in an hour," Julie sighed, rubbing her eyes. "Do you want to shower first?"

The older girl shook her head. "Nah it's cool go ahead."

She watched Julie collect her things and then tiredly walk into the bathroom. Tobin turned in her bed, thinking about Alex, and how she was going to approach the situation. Still, no answer came to her even after she and Julie were both showered and on the way downstairs. The younger girl was good company, though. She had Tobin smiling joking as they made their way into the room.

"Hey, why don't you sit at my table today?" Tobin suggested as they both got their plates.

The rookie smiled nervously. "You sure?"

"Totally," the tanned midfielder answered as she began to pile her plate up.

A grin settled onto Julie's face. "Okay."

They both made their way to Tobin's usual table, and Tobin plopped herself right next to Alex and patted the chair on the other side of her. "I brought JJ over today, hope you don't mind," she smiled.

"Morning JJ," Alex said with a smile as others at the table did the same.

"I don't get a good morning?" Tobin asked while raising an eyebrow at the forward.

Alex laughed. Tobin's heart soared at the sound of that laugh. "Good morning to you too, dork." She nudged her lightly, and the contact left Tobin's stomach fluttering. Oh goodness not again.

Tobin felt herself tense up a little at the contact, but smile anyway as she looked at her friend for a moment before digging into her breakfast. Again, her eyes found Alex's lips, but she quickly looked away and prayed a blush wasn't rising to her cheeks. She didn't want to lose herself and do something she wasn't ready to do. To distract herself, Tobin focused more on Julie and the others around the table, and barely looked at Alex. It wasn't enough for anyone to notice her behavior, though.