Chapter 1; Lone Wolf

I half jump out of my skin when the alarm beside me goes off. It has been set at the same time, every day for the last twenty years of my life, I have a wolf on my side to help me and a gun under my pillow for good measure. But all the same I jump every time it sounds.

Rubbing my knuckles across my eyes with a sigh, I look down at the woman who was still sleeping soundly beside me and smile just a little. My wolf relaxes just a little when he realises that everything is ok and we are safe. I lean down and kiss her on the back of her shoulder affectionately. "Good morning." She whispers, awaking at the touch of my lips but not looking up from where she was curled on her front.

A grin dances across my lips as I look down at her with affection, sitting up and stretching with a tired sigh. Today would be my first day back at work since I had returned from a holiday to the Bahama's the day before. It had been my first holiday in seven years, and had been much appreciated, but it was nice to be home. The only place I would ever feel truly safe. "Good morning beautiful." I answer with a chuckle.

Now she rolls over to look up at me, I lean down to kiss her once again, when a sound enters my ears which makes me frown. The crying of a baby through the monitor sat carefully on the bed side table, and I chuckle. "Just on time." I say, shaking my head when she tries to get up and lifting myself up before she can. "You stay in bed, I'll deal with the monkeys." I tell her with a grin, before making my way out of the bedroom.

Ducking my head beneath the doorframe which had never properly fit my height, and tiptoeing across the hall and towards the babies' bedroom door. I click open the door to look down at the two most precious things in the world.

My two daughters, Charlotte. Or Lottie, considering the fact I hate the name and was only convinced by my wife to name her such on the compromise that I would name the second, and her twin sister and perfect double, Faye. Were looking at me expectantly towards me, the brown eyes which are identical of their mothers looking expectantly at me.

Faye looked at me with a frown that seemed to say, 'You're not the milk dispenser.' With a look of confusion that melted my heart every time. Leaning in I lift them both and place them on the nearby changing table. My wolf senses telling me that both of the four month old children have full nappies. "I know, I know my stinky children, I'm not mummy. But I have something just a good." I tell them with a laugh.

My wolf growls possessively, and I only chuckle at him as I get to work tidying up the messy pair. They are my world, and I don't blame him for being so protective over the precious pair of children. It takes a few moments before both of them are clean and even hungrier then I had first walked in. By now Faye was wailing in hunger, throwing her tiny arms around throwing a tantrum that only a child her age could through.

A soft hum coming from my throat as I get to work feeding each child, I cant help but wonder about what the future might hold for my two daughters. My work isn't exactly the safest, neither is what I am. At times like this I regret never telling my wife what I truly am, for now we have children and who knows whether or not they will turn out like me.

It is times like these that I wish that I hadn't chosen to live the life of a lone wolf. Had I been a member of a pack, even if it was just living on the borders of one, I could have known the answers as to what my daughters would grow up to be. In part it would even make telling Evelyn what I really am a hell of a lot easier. But I have to live with the consequences of the choices that I made such a long time ago. We are safe, that's all I care about.

I smell her before I see or hear her, and I turn around to see Evelyn standing leaning against the door with a smile. Even three months after the birth of our daughters, she looks just as perfect as she did the first time I met her. "What are you thinking so hard about?" She asks and I know from experience that she is talking about the look my face takes whenever I am concentrating hard on something or other.