He stopped short when he circled the back of the house. And found his father, grilling some fish. A small bowl of uncooked fishes and a plate for cooked ones on the wooden table along with a can of beer. His father was busy with the fire and he didn't notice Donghae standing there. Watching his dad brought back memories when his father always grill some fishes for him when he was little and he would just sit on a stone watching him do it while his dad lectures him that fishes are good for the health and woul make him stronger and taller.

His father turned to get the bowl of fishes when he looked up and saw him standing there. He glanced at his way then froze as he looked at him as if he couldn't believe Donghae was there. Donghae just looked at his dad before taking a step towards him, avoiding the stones and twigs blocking the pathway.

His father just watched him before hesitantly resuming his task of grilling the fish. Donghae just silently studied his father as he sat on the wooden bench near the table. His father had aged. The man who was once buff and strong now looked weak and withered. He lost a lot of weight from the last time he had saw him. Time hasn't been kind to him. Was it guilt that ate him? He didn't know where to begin and he guessed his father didn't know either. After his countless attempts to talk to his son, words had deserted him in time when Donghae suddenly appeared unannounced.

His father took the can of beer from the table, flipped open the top and offered it to Donghae. Donghae accepted taking a drink from it as his father turned his attention back on his fishes.

"Fish biting okay?" Donghae asked not knowing what to talk about. He realized he no longer knew his father. He doesn't know anything he could talk about with him. No common ground at all. Except fishing. One thing his father loved to do during his free time.

His father chuckled. "They are," he answered. "I just don't have enough strength to catch them."

Another silence ensued and it took about a minute before his father looked at him again. "You hungry?"

It was already dark when they finished eating. In thorough silence, except for the clinks of the forks against the plates. One thing Donghae was sure of was that the fishes his father made was still the same fish that he loved to eat. And he had missed it. He had always thought that no one can make the fishes taste as delicious as his father made when he was little. Now he was sure it is. He rolled up his sleeves to help put the dishes back inside the house. His father brought the plates outside and wanted to eat where he could feel the fresh air of the night along with the smell of the shore nearby. Donghae didn't argue as being confined in a house would make things a lot more akward for both of them.

"Just leave it there, I'll take care of it," his father said stopping Donghae from taking the plates.

"I'll just take it to your sink then," Donghae said.

His father just shook his head at him and sat down on the beach chair he brought out, nodding to him to sit down too. Donghae hesitated before leaving the plates and sitting down on the beach chair beside his father, who offered him a can of beer. He took It, flipped it on and took a swipe. It was a long silence between them. Just looking out at the width of the night, neither of them speaking.

His father broke the silence. "Your mother always wanted to put the plates in the sink. You sound just like her."

It made Donghae pause and his father continued.

"You've grown well," his father added before nodding, regret and relief evident in his tone. "You've grown...really well."

"No thanks to you," Donghae couldn't help but say.

He heard his father let out a shaky breath. "I'm sorry Donghae," he said in a broken voice.

Donghae clenched his jaw tight. He knew this conversation would happen but he realized he didn't want it to happen so soon. He realized he was afraid of finding out the truth.