Chapter 15

Donghae checked his phone, tapping the side of the frame while biting the inside of his cheek thoughtfully then put it back in his pocket again. It has already been two days and he couldn't get a hold of Dara. He hadn't heard anything from her since the night after his mother's birthday. When he went there the next day to pick her up, no one was home. He tried to call but he reached her voicemail. He shrugged it off thinking maybe she went to the office early and she would probably bother him if she gets hungry. It was past noon when he tried to call her again but it just went to her voicemail. He sent her a text message asking if she was hungry but he didn't receive any response. That was odd. Dara not taking the opportunity to take advantage of his offer. He forgot his puzzlement when he found his mom inside his office waiting for him after he bought something to eat from the building's cafeteria. Her mother was contrite for not telling him that his father is back in the city for almost a month now and they had already been talking.

"I'm sorry for not telling you, Donghae," his mother said tearfully. "I didn't know how... and...I just want us whole again but..."

"Mom," Donghae said putting his arms around her to comfort her. "It's okay." He rubbed her back while his mother sobbed on his chest. "I'm not mad at you, okay. I just had a shock. I'm sorry for ruining your birthday. I just didn't want to stay."

Donghae's mother wiped a tear from her eye as she looked up at her son. "Can't you just talk to your dad? For me? I know his reasons are inexcusable but if you would just listen..."

Donghae let go of her mom and went to his desk shaking his head. "Mom, stop using emotional blackmail. I'm cool with you guys back in each other's arms again but don't expect me to be in the equation. Yes, he's my dad but he left us. He left you. He left me. I don't think I want to hear anything he's got to say after 20 years. You may have bought his lies but I won't."

"Donghae..."

"I'm not a kid anymore mom," Donghae said picking up all the papers he needed to review and put them in his folder and closing it. "I can live without a dad. I already did for the last 20 years." He walked over to his mom and kissed her on top of her head. "Love you mom, See you later."

"Donghae," his mom implored but Donghae just smiled at her before walking out of the office leaving her mom.

His dad attempted to talk to him that night when he saw him waiting for him outside of the building. He just stared at his dad who's looking at him with a silent plea but he just shook his head and walked off. After all these years, he could still feel the disappointment, the hurt, the anger that he felt ever since he was nine when realized his father is not coming back. His grandfather took them in when he left and he used to walk back to their empty house after school still believing that he will be there and would let them know what happened to him. He didn't know how long he had been going back to their house before he realized he was just waiting for nothing. His grandfather was right. His father already left them for whatever reasons he had. Maybe a new woman. A new, wealthier, younger woman whom he can live his life off to. He felt hurt that his father would do that. Then disappointment. Then anger. He was already 12 when he thought that they were better off without his father.

And they were. He thought his mother thought that too but he guessed he was wrong. But he could never hold it against his mom. He love his mom so much that he wouldn't even go against her if she decided to get back with his dad. No matter how much he doesn't want that happen.