Chapter 11

11

“Misha? Tegan? You girls need anything?” my mom asked, poking her paint splattered face through the doorway.

“Yeah, some privacy,” I mumbled under my breath.

Tegan shot me a sour glance; she was still pretty angry with me.

I shut my mouth and pretended to pick a scab from a bite mark on my wrist.

“No thanks Mrs. Grant,” Tegan smiled. “We’re good.”

“Sure you guys don’t want some cookies or something?” she asked.

“No thanks,” Tegan said now, and I was beginning to see the annoyance in her eyes.

“Alright then. Call me if you need me,” my mom grinned and then frowned at me. “Misha, baby, stop picking your scabs, that’s dirty.”

You see, even when I wasn’t trying to get in trouble, I still got in trouble.

My life was pointless.

As soon as the door shut, I flopped back onto my bed, hearing the springs creak loudly under the pressure.

Out of my periphery vision I saw Tegan turn and look at me. She was pretty pissed and I knew that, but still.

“What were you thinking Misha!” she demanded. “You could have taken that black wolf! And crossing the Line?! Seriously now?”

I rolled my eyes. “No. I couldn't have taken that black wolf. He was twice my size. And crossing the Line? There were freaking patches in it! And I didn't know that! Plus I was trying to get away from Randel. Shouldn't I be reciprocated in some form or fashion?”

Tegan scrutinized me. “You need to stop running on your emotional impulses Misha. They'll be the death of you.”

I glared at her. “Is it so bad that I want to put love before my duty?”

“Yes Misha. You're not human. This is how it is.”

I glared at her. “Why do you have to be so reasonable all the time?”

“'Cause I'm your future Beta,” she laughed, and I could feel the tension between us quickly dissipate. “It's my job, babe.”

“How was he while I was gone?” I asked and I knew she knew that I was talking about Randel.

“Pissed mostly.” Tegan shrugged. “Typical boyfriend. I've seen Hayden act like that when I'm running in the forest with other male wolves.”

I sat up and looked down at the huge lump under my pastel and lace colored coverlet. That was going to be hard to hide from the others at school.

“He was really worried about you Misha,” Tegan said in the softest voice I could never imagine her speaking with. Was the abrasive exterior wearing off?

Damn, my brother was a magician.

“Yeah, whatever. But did he really have to kiss me like that in front of Liam?” I demanded, trying to hide the underlying feeling for him in my voice. “He's a Shadow, Randel knows that he can't have me.”

“It's male possession,” Tegan laughed. “In Randel's eyes, you're his and no one else's.”

I wrinkled my nose in disdain, wishing to change that notion. “Thanks for making me feel like an object Tegan.”

“You're welcome,” she laughed.

I closed my eyes for a minute and felt a light breeze float through the room. It felt nice.