Chapter 3

3

“Hey, wait up!” I yelped, heading across the parking lot toward him.

Liam turned to look at me, and just like that, my heartbeat quickened a fraction and my blood began to boil in my veins.

Stop it Misha, he’s a Shadow.

“Care to explain why your wolves won’t leave mine alone?” I demanded.

“Excuse me?” he shot back.

“You heard me. We don’t treat our females like you do, I’d think your pack would show some courtesy and display that same respect.” I replied.

He frowned at me. “I don’t know how we’ve offended you Misha, since we were only here one day…”

“Cut the crap Liam. I don’t like your wolves implying your mannerisms to mine. You’re on our territory, and even though it may be neutral, we won’t tolerate any nonsense.” I growled softly.

He took three sharp strides toward me, and he was suddenly in my face. I could feel his breath on my neck, and his eyes burned brightly into my own. “Don’t threaten me.”

And he was gone, stalking across the parking lot to a sleek, black Audi, its bodywork sparkling in the late sunshine.

I scowled and traipsed across the lot to my own ride.

Hayden was in the back seat, bobbing to some music and drawing random doodles in his sketch book. I rolled my eyes at him and got into the front seat beside Tegan. She started the Jeep’s engine and looked over at me.

“How’d it go?”

I sighed. “Typical Shadow Pack manners; he thought I was threatening him.”

Tegan shook her head and brought the Jeep forward, cutting forward before the sleek black Audi, who promptly honked at her. She flipped him a pink painted finger and mumbled under her breath: “I’ve got no courtesy for asses.”

If Tegan was trying to be inconspicuous in saying that, then she was impressing no one.

The Jeep clambered up the mountain trails and parked right on my driveway.

“Are you staying?” I asked. “We’ve got to run tonight.”

“Eugh,” Tegan snorted, picking up her handbag from the console between us.”I guess, but I hate the run. No Shadow with sense is going to cross the territory line.”

“You might think so, but to my knowledge, Shadows aren’t that smart.”

We laughed together, following Hayden’s trail through the front door and into the kitchen.

My mom had set out some Oreos and glasses of milk and Hayden was already helping himself to them. Tegan snapped up one and looked out of the kitchen window.

“How much more time before we have to leave for the run?” she asked disinterestedly.

“About an hour. I want everyone on that line; with the Shadows back in town, we can’t take any chances.” I decided.

“A wise decision too,” a deep voice came from behind me.

I spun around to look at my dad, who was reading something intently. “That’s why you’re not going to be alone Misha. The Pack is coming with you. If we have to protect our land, we’ll protect it.”

My dad was the Alpha male and my mom was the Alpha female of the Leaf Pack. Being their eldest, I was to be the next Alpha female. The Leaf Pack had once consisted of two wolf Packs, the Moonlight Pack and the Sunray pack. These Packs joined together to create a new pack called the Leaf Pack. However, I was still unsure as to the future of my own pack.