:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Thirty

Start from the beginning

"Hey, it's Holly," an amused voice started and I felt an arm being slung around my shoulder. "What's up, teacher's pet?" 

Shoving the arm off me, I turned my head to see one of the juniors that'd asked me out earlier in the day smirking at me. What was his name again? Jake? Julius? Justin? John? I frowned. Why did it even matter? 

"You know Holly, Jonah?" James questioned, crossing his arms. 

"No, but I want to know her," Jonah said, his eyes going back to me. "Have you reconsidered my date?" 

My head was starting to throb, giving me a heads up of the headache that was sure to come. Jonah waited for my answer, cocking an eyebrow. James had an uncomfortable expression on his face, looking like he was about to run away. I hoped he didn't. 

"Umm, I'm going to go," he told us, slowly slinking sideways, "so I'll see you two later..." 

Our gaze met and I tried to beg him to stay with my eyes. He didn't get the message. After receiving a goodbye from Jonah, he began to jog away from us. 

"So," Jonah started, gaining my attention again. "How about it?" 

"I... I have a boyfriend," I murmured, dropping my gaze. This wasn't good. I wasn't too great at confrontations. So far Lance, Chris, or Casey had been by my side when someone had approached me- heck, even Lexi had come to my rescue a few times. Now I was by myself.  

Jonah let out a quiet laugh. "You mean you did have a boyfriend. Don't you guys have to break up?" 

"We weren't dating," I snapped, confidently returning my gaze to his face. "I told you. I'm his cousin." 

"Sure." 

I clenched my fists. "Whatever, John, I have to go." 

"Wait," he demanded, grabbing my wrist. "You haven't given me an answer. And my name is Jonah, not John." 

I tried to tug my wrist out of his grasp, suddenly feeling an overwhelming weight falling onto my shoulders. "I said no!" 

"Why?" 

"I'm not interested in younger guys!" 

"I stayed back a grade. We're the same age." 

"Jonah, no, let me go." 

He shook his head. "You have to say yes first. Could you imagine the guys' faces when they hear I'm going on a date with the legend who dated her teacher?" 

Yep, I definitely was going to have a headache soon. The throbbing was augmenting with each word that spewed from his stupid mouth. "That's shallow," I told him, once again yanking my wrist away in hope of breaking free. "More reason not to date you." 

"Come on, Holly Dolly," he pressed, taking a step closer to me. "One date, okay? Just one." 

"I don't know you," I protested weakly, the weight on my shoulders seemingly increasing with my headache. 

"We can get to know each other." 

It was a good thing all guys weren't as pushy as Jonah, otherwise it'd probably be the end of mankind. "I really have to go, Jonah. Let go," I told him firmly, giving him the most threatening glare I could muster. 

His eyes crinkled as he grinned. "You're surprisingly cute. I wonder why I never noticed you before." 

"Come on!" I cried, shoving him away with my other hand. "I won't go out with you Jonah, or anyone else for that matter! I've never dated Jeremy and I never will!"