Yamaguchi Tadashi | Summer Breeze

Along with the gentle summer breeze came [l/n] [y/n]. Ever since he was five, he remembered the timid girl showing up at the park to play, only to mysteriously disappear when autumn came around. he remembered the first day of autumn when he had brought his toys with him to play, but she wasn't there. For a whole week he had waited for her to meet him per their usual summer schedule, until his mom consolingly told him that she might have just been there for the summer. She had reassured him she'd be back the next time.

Even now he can't quite pinpoint the time he'd began relying on the promise of a 'next time.'

As the year passed and the summer breeze came again, so did she.

For six years this had continued. They were twelve years old now.

"Yama-chan, you've grown," the girl said with a smile.

Tadashi beamed, so happy to be reunited with his friend, and so happy she'd noticed his extra centimeters. "You think so?"

Shee nodded and took him by the hand, leading him to the slide to play. "Did you miss me?" she asked softly, ready to go down the slide.

He nodded, sitting behind her. "Of course!"

The two were thirteen years old.

"Ehh?? Tadashi that isn't fair!" She exclaimed on their first day of summer at the park.

"W-what? What isn't?" He squeaked, a blush immediately making its way onto his cheek as his voice cracked.

"You've grown taller than me!" She pouts, circling around him to examine the boy who had just recently had a growth spurt.

"Well that's how it's supposed to be, right? The boy has to be taller than the girl if he wants to... to..." he wanted to say 'marry her' but he couldn't say that to her. Not right now.

"To what, yama-chan?"

"N-nothing. Let's go play now."

With that, they began to outgrow the playground with each other.

Another year.

The second week of summer. "Wahh Yama-chan, n-no more running." [y/n] sighed, holding her head as she sat down on a nearby bench.

"[y/n]-chan?" He turned around and slowed down his speed to a stop. "What's wrong?" He asked, walking over.

She shook her head slowly. "Nothing. I'm fine. Just tired, is all." She smiled weakly. "We've been running around all day, you know," she says, playing it off with a laugh.

He nodded, not entirely convinced and still worried for his friend. "I'll go get juice."

How could she be tired? Summer had only just began.

The year went by and high school began. Tadashi met knew friends, but the only thing on his mind was [y/n]. He couldn't wait for summer to begin so that he could see you again. Over the years, he started to feel like you were an important part of his life. That's what growing up together does to you, he supposed.

Summer came.

[y/n] was not there for the summer.

Another year started and another year ended.

"Yamaguchi." Tsukishima called. "Where are you going? It's the first day of summer."

'Exactly,'  Tadashi thought.

He had so much to tell you— how he had begun playing volleyball, the new friends he had met... He was excited to tell you about his year, the words going to say to you already forming on his lips. He was anticipating what you had to tell him also.