BitterSweet Memories

Start from the beginning

Aaron stopped mid-speech, running a hand through his hair. I stayed silent and rubbed his back, urging him to continue yet he didn't. He sat in silence as if the memory of what happened next had scarred him completely.

Whatever happened then, however, had scarred me completely.

A tear rolled down Aaron's cheek as he looked lifelessly ahead and I sobbed silently at the sight. Never, in the time that I had known Aaron, had I seen him cry. It seemed so strange to think of him even doing so and my heart clenched upon seeing him this broken.

I moved closer and lifted my hand, wiping Aaron's cheek, but before I could move back, Aaron had grasped onto my wrist. He held me in position as he spoke- his voice weak and fragile.

"When I saw her face, I was so scared." He said quietly. He then looked up at me. He seemed hesitant to speak, but- nevertheless- he continued, looking straight into my eyes as he did so.

"Her eyes were wide open, but she wasn't blinking. They just remained open and she was looking right at me. I couldn't help it, but I backed away from her. I know that makes me a bad son, but I was so scared. I called the paramedics, but- by the time they came- it was already too late. The time of death was pronounced 8:12am"

A few tears ran down my cheek. She was really gone. The thought of it seemed surreal yet I knew it to be true. I finally broke my silence, my voice quiet as I spoke.

"Where did they take her?" I asked cautiously.

At this, Aaron turned his gaze to the road.
"By the time she was declared dead, I had already called my aunt. She arrived when the paramedics were taking my mom out of the house. I told my aunt that I wanted to stay home. I just couldn't tolerate seeing my mom again after that. My aunt seemed to have understood though and they left at around 9."

I looked at my watch before turning back to Aaron.
"It's 1:15pm, Aaron. Have you been sat here this whole time?" I asked yet I already knew the answer. Aaron nodded numbly, his gaze still on the road.

By now, the occasional droplets of water from the sky had turned to heavy rainfall and I moved closer to Aaron to share his warmth. He didn't seem to mind this and, rather, moved closer to me. I smiled sadly at the small gesture, but Aaron didn't seem to notice. He looked down at the ground in sadness.

I sighed heavily. I couldn't stand to see him like this.
"There was nothing you could do, Aaron. Sometimes bad things happen that we can't control." I said, rubbing his back. Aaron could blame himself for years to come, but the honest truth was that nothing he could do would have changed anything and he needed to know this.

Aaron sighed heavily just as I had done a second ago. His eyes became glassy again and I regretted saying what I had because it seemed to create a new storm of sadness in him. He ran a hand through his hair.

"Last night, she told me her stomach was paining and I told her that I'd take her to the doctors tomorrow. If only I had taken her as soon as she had said that then maybe she'd still be here. Maybe I wouldn't have lost her." Aaron shut his eyes tightly, his voice burning with regret.

I pulled Aaron's face to mine, so that I could look him in the eyes.
"Don't blame this on yourself, Aaron. It wasn't your fault." My voice was stern as I said this.

Aaron's hair was matted onto his forehead now from the rain and the droplets rolled down his face as I looked into his eyes.

The eyes that I would always find myself getting lost in.

I was about to tell Aaron that we should both inside, but- before I could- Aaron spoke. His voice was firm and clear unlike his voice moments ago.