Chapter Ten

They sat in silence, comforted by each other's embrace.

"You know all about me, I want to know about you." Brandon asked, slumping back lazily against the tree so he could look at Grace.

"There isn't much to know." She replied, shrugging as she picked at the hem of her dress.

"There is everything to know." Brandon nudged.

Sighing, Grace settled herself in between his legs, her back to the lake. Looking over at the man in front of her.

"No one has ever asked me for my story before." She mumbled, her still picking hands embraced by his and pulled to his lips.

"I want to know everything there is to know about you Grace Jackson." He said, pecking each of her knuckles before settling their still entwined hands in his lap.

She thought back, to as early as she could remember. Through the painful memories, to the ones that contained her, so innocent and unaware.

"I was only young when my family died as well. In a car crash." She took a deep breath, a comforting squeeze on her hands urging her on.

"My father died instantly, my mother begged the rescue team to get me first. She died on the way to the hospital. I was badly injured. Nearly every bone in my body had dislocated. It was only when I was in physio that someone picked up on the way my joints moved further than normal, the way my skin was super stretchy and I always complained of being tired.

I was diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. At the age of 11 I couldn't pronounce the name let alone understand what it meant. I was sent to live with my Grandmother. She was alright, but didn't understand the condition I had at all. She thought I was lazy, needed more exercise. I ended up in the hospital every month with one dislocation or another.

She died when I turned 15. That's around the same time I started fainting. My heart would start racing every time I stood up and I would just black out, collapse to the floor. I'm on medication for that, and it helps somewhat. Not enough for me to be normal though.

I was sent to a foster family, who were caring and understood the doctors a lot more than my Gran. They let me study from home when school got too tough.

My parents left me some money, so when I turned 18 I bought a ground floor flat near the hospital and I studied an open degree in art history.

I mainly do research now, for people wanting to see if their works of art are genuine or not."

Grace met Brandon's gaze, which had not left her for a moment while she was talking.

"That's why it never occurred to me that I could be your mate. In school we're taught that Werewolves are strong and weakness isn't tolerated, because it can be dangerous. You're an Alpha, you need to strongest mate there is."

"And I have her. There are different types of strength, Grace. You are by far the strongest person I have ever met, you know. Everything you have been through. Are going through. It sounds like a daily battle to keep yourself walking let alone get out of bed. Strength of mind and heart outweigh everything else. I'm so proud I can call you mine."  Brandon said, pulling lightly on her hands so she was laid on top of his chest.

"I do it because I have no other choice. My illness doesn't rule my life, I rule it. That's the way it has to be." She replied.

They laid again in silence, enjoying the warm sunshine and animals that fluttered around the lake.

A low growl reverberated in Brandon's chest, breaking the silence. Looking up questioningly, Grace figured he was talking to the pack. His eyes were staring off into the distance, his brows pulled together, a snarl on his lips.