Chapter Three

Grace stared out of the window. Trees. There were so many trees. She had opened her eyes late into the morning to find that the day before had not been a dream and she was in in fact in supernatural village. Or family. Hive. Pack. Whatever they called it. The 'they' hadn't been established yet.

For all she knew, they could be blood sucking vampires waiting for the opportune moment to turn her into a living blood bank. The heart monitor still strapped to her chest began to beep faster.

Looking over to the machine, she flicked the off button. It wasn't as if her heart wasn't beating, and by her very nature her heart would always beat differently. The beep was beginning to annoy her. The incessant noise against utter silence would drive anyone mad.

The door to the room opened with a thud. A man stood in the doorway, his gaze raking over her, the heart monitor and then back to her.

Grace stared back at the man, eyes blinking, eyebrows raised in confusion as she took him in. He looked familiar.

With a small gasp she realised who he was. She would never be able to mistake his brown eyes.

"Sorry, it was annoying me, I turned it off." She whispered as the man stayed stood still in the doorway.

He nodded slowly, spacing out for a moment before looking her over.

Pulling the covers up her body a little further, she did the same to him.

His hair was light brown, still long, only no longer cut as though he had taken gardening shears to it himself. It was brushed back, revealing his tanned, freshly shaven face.

She liked his face. His strong jaw bone. The small scars running up and down his cheeks even more visible. He was dressed in a cotton t shirt and dark washed jeans. He looked gorgeous. He looked strong. He looked-

Realising they had just spent the past few minutes staring at each other in silence she tore her gaze away from him to her hands, which she was now nervously wringing.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, slowly walking into her room, shutting the door behind him.

"Sore. Bruised. But nothing I can't handle." She replied, looking up to see him moving a chair to her bedside.

Self-consciously she brushed her fingers though her hair, wincing at a shooting pain in her shoulder.

Brown eyes sat down, staring at her hands, which she lowered once again and rested in her lap.

"You saved me?" She asked, wanting to know if what she remembered had actually happened.

"Yes." His voice had gone from sounding like velvet to gravel. She watched as his fists clenched on the chair sides. He was angry.

Was he angry at her? Is that what he was here for? To tell her off for being so stupid for walking home alone. To tell her that she wasn't really welcome here, wherever here was.

"Thank you." She whispered. Because she was. She was so thank full. The man that had attacked her obviously hadn't intended for her to survive their encounter. She shuddered at the thought.

"I'm just glad I was there to get that thing off of you." He replied.

"So am I!" She chuckled, smiling at him as he met her gaze.

"The Doctor said that it will take you a long time to heal." He said, changing the subject.

"Yes, injuries like these usually take me a couple of months of rest and gentle exercise to recover from." She replied, sighing dejectedly as she thought about the months of pain and energy she would go through to get back to her normal.