June 15, 2025

Scott's P.O.V.

It was the next day and I was up early. I had studio time at two and I needed to go and get groceries. The whole house was awake by eight am and so I told them that I was going off to get groceries and then would come back before heading off to the studio.

"Can I come with you, dad? I'll help." Noah asked.

"Sure thing, kiddo. Anyone else coming?" I said and was met with two shaking heads. I had noticed how more recently Noah and Toby were more inclined to do things by themselves. Toby would rather spending time with his sister whereas Noah would usually accompany me to a lot of places.

We got in the car and I drove us to our local grocery store. Picking out mostly healthy stuff, which was relatively hard considering I had a seven year old with me. I couldn't resist the lucky charms though and bought a box, shaking my head at Noah who cheered in triumph.

After we payed, we got back in the car. "Oh damn!" I cursed, noticing Noah's little giggle that accompanied it. "I forgot I need to collect something in down town LA. You don't mind coming along, do you?" I asked, looking through the rear view mirror at Noah.

"No, I'm not doing anything at home anyway." He reassured me. I smiled and drove us to down town LA. Getting out and beginning to walk towards the music shop. Kevin had apparently left some music there the other day. I don't know how he did it but that man would loose his head if it wasn't screwed on. I had offered to pick it up for him and bring it in to the studio later.

"Dad, stop." Noah said. I stopped and looked down at him, realising I had been in my head.

"What's wrong, kiddo?" I asked, crouching down to his level. He smiled and took my wrist and began to pull me somewhere. "What are you doing?" I asked, laughing at him trying to pull my body weight. I let him take me to wherever he wanted to go.

"Look." He said, pointing towards some objects just sat in the middle of the sidewalk. There were three microphones and a piano. A sign under it said 'free for anyone to use as you wish.' I frowned at the oddness of it all. They never did things like this in LA for fear of the stuff getting stolen. "Can we sing, dad? Can we, please?" Noah asked, pulling on my sleeve.

I looked around, noticing a couple of people waiting for someone to step up to the mic. I looked at the time. It was only twelve. We still had two hours to get home and for me to get to the studio. We would be fine. I nodded at Noah and he dragged me towards the equipment.

"What do you want to sing, Noah?" I asked, lowering the mic that he stood at. He thought for a second before whispering in my ear. I noticed how a couple of people stopped to watch us. I also noticed one person gasp and step back when they saw me. I shook my head, smiling and walked back over to the mic by the piano.

"I'll start okay and then you go for the second verse." I told Noah, my words catching in the mic and projecting out to the people who stood there. I heard some awes and smiled to myself. It was a good thing I knew the chords to this song. We had done it in choir in high school and I could just about remember the harmonies as well.

My fingers began to move fluently across the keys. "Some times in our lives, we all have pain, we all have sorrow, but if we are wise, we know that there's always tomorrow." I watched as some more people stopped, hearing me sing. There was now quite a substantial crowd standing around us. "Lean on me, when you're not strong and I'll be your friend. I'll help you carry on. For it won't be long 'til I'm gonna need somebody to lean on."

I looked across at Noah who was watching me sing. He winked at me ready to sing the next verse. I had to prepare myself or I would cry again, so I took a deep breath and changed chords for the second verse. "Please! Swallow your pride if I have things you want to borrow. For no one can fill those of your needs that you won't let show." I laughed at how he moved his hands just like me. The audiences eyes widening at his voice. "So just call on me brother when you need a hand. We all need somebody to lean on! I just might have a problem that you'll understand. We all need somebody to lean on!" He smiled as the crowd began to clap along looking at me in excitement.