(15) Blank Screens

I don't know how long I was staring at the screen. I don't even know what emotion was going through my mind at that time. Shock? Sympathy? Confusion? I was confused all right....

I had never even thought to guess what the Medic thought of me. I'd been too focused on fighting and training...and feeling sorry for myself...that I didn't even know. He had never shown this side of him when I was awake, but as I thought about it...it slowly started coming to me. The night before the fight was the main thing that came to my mind.

I continued to watch. This was only an hour after he took me in...I needed to know what happened during the other eleven. I looked back at Sniper, and he was staring right past me at the screen, looking dazed by what he saw. 

"Blimey..." He mumbled, starting to reel the tape forward again. I turned back to watch as it continued for several minutes. Soon he'd put me back on the bed to rest and had been pacing the room again, keeping a watchful eye on me. Every now and then he would wander off the screen and come back. Only once did he come back with something, and that was a wheeled tray of tools, ranging from scalpels of different sizes to forceps and other surgical tools. My stomach flipped. 

"What the hell..." Was all that could escape my mouth. The Medic then sat next to me again and opened a book, reading carefully through it. I could only watch as time passed. Hours even had passed before the Medic even moved, but he'd made it most of the way through the book before closing it and putting it on the tray. It was then that I was able to read the cover. I could only read a little of it, but I could make out the word;  Chirurgie. That man and his German were going to be the death of me, for I had no idea what the word meant. It was at this point that Sniper stopped winding forward, letting it play. 

The tape rolled forward as the Medic made neat and careful preparations, at last looking straight at the camera. That was the last thing that was bothering him it seemed, for he walked up to the camera, looking into it for a second before reaching up towards it, almost as if he were reaching towards me, but I knew what he was doing. I got one last glimpse of him, and I took every second to observe it. He looked nervous, but focused, his bright blue eyes seeming to find mine. I looked at him...and I wondered if this was the same Medic that I usually talked to. If this was the doctor that I thought I knew. 

Then the screen went completely black. I shook, looking down at myself, then to Sniper.

"W...what did he do to me?" I asked. My voice was shaking. He looked just as surprised as I was, looking to me. It looked like he was trying his best to think of words of comfort, but after a while seemed stumped, shaking his head. 

"I...I don't know..." He said quietly. "Let's just hope we could trust what he did...and be happy that you're still alive..." I nodded quietly, but something was still making me nervous. Sniper gave a gruff sigh, starting to wind the tape forward again. 

One....two....three hours passed and the screen was still black. I shuffled nervously. I needed to know. 

The screen suddenly flickered with static again, the camera coming back into focus as I saw the Medic appear once again. His hands were covered in blood, and he looked slightly frightened, even more so than before. I looked around him to myself. I looked the same as before, except the Medi gun was focused less on my neck and more at a downward angle towards my stomach. I looked completely untouched. The Medic left for a few minutes and came back to my bedside. The blood was washed off his hands and he'd taken off his lab coat. I must've been slow to realize when I woke up that he wasn't wearing his coat.

The only thing the next few hours contained was of him waiting for me to wake up. I shook my head, running a hand through my hair as I sat back. Dammit, he was good, but that wasn't going to stop me from finding out. I stood up and left the Sniper in the room, starting to walk towards the clinic. As I made my way down the seemingly endless hallway, I passed Engie's room. I stopped for a second, hearing the unforgettable tune coming through the door. I made myself listen to it...just to calm myself a bit. I found myself leaning against the wall next to his door, listening quietly.

______________________________________________________________________________

I pushed the clinic door open, walking inside. All the lights were off now, and not a soul was in sight. 

"Medic...?" I called quietly, but no one replied. I quickly shrank out of the room, closing the door behind me. So he had to be in his room by now. Or so I guessed, as I left the waiting room, walking back down the hallway. I was almost nervous about asking him now. How was it going to sound when I told him that I watched him on camera. I took my sweet time getting to the room, but it still seemed like I was there in a heart beat. 

I rubbed my arm, looking at the door and feeling as if my life was in this next choice. I hesitantly reached out and knocked on the door. 

"Ja?" Came his voice from the other side of the door. "Oh...One minute Frau, I'm getting changed..." he said before I could answer. I didn't say anything. I just backed into the wall at the other end of the hallway, hugging myself. My mind was flooded, so I knew my answer would've come out in gibberish anyway. Oh man...what was I going to say..?

He opened the door a second later, looking a little caught off guard to not see me in front of the door. 

"Eh...Frau..? Are you going to come in?" He asked. I hesitated, but ended up not moving. It was like my legs weren't obeying me. I just looked down. I was still shaking. Oh God...the tension. His sweet smile faded a little, opening the door a little more and stepping out. True to his word he did change into pajamas, but that didn't matter to me at that moment. 

"Are you okay?" He asked, coming closer. I shook my head, trembling. 

"Medic..." I said gently. "W...We need to talk..."