(3) Unload the Payload

I was standing behind the kitchen counter, helping Pyro mix cake batter when we both heard it.

"The payload is nearing a checkpoint!"

"Mmph!" Pyro dropped everything at the Announcer's voice. I could literally hear the entire base uproar with voices as everyone scrambled to their weapons. I stood up and followed Pyro as we ran out of the kitchen, his chef's hat falling to the floor behind us. We didn't stop until we both reached the stock room, where he grabbed his Flamethrower, quickly hooking up a new tank of propane to his weapon. I went to run to my room to get my guns when someone grabbed the back of my collar and pulled me back, the voice of Soldier coming from behind me. 

"Not today, Scout." he said. "Not until you've finished your training!" He quickly pushed me back towards the door as he picked up his rocket launcher and hauled it up onto his shoulder. I didn't argue, quickly running back and watching the others open the garage door and run out into battle. As I rubbed my neck, a felt a hand on my shoulder. 

"Soon enough." said Scout, patting my shoulder before running after the others, making it just outside the door before turning and observing the others for a second, a frown appearing on his face. "What the hell is everyone doin'?!" I heard him shout as he vanished from my sight, Pyro following close behind him.

The sound of bullets hitting the walls of the base and cries of the men outside made me instantly worried. I had to remember that unlike me, everyone else knew what they were doing, and hopefully wouldn't let the BLU team run the bomb in. Judging by the yelling back and forth between teammates, the cart had stopped for a while, then continued rolling towards the second checkpoint. 

Sentries beeped as the Engineer ran out. Sticky bombs blew as the Demoman left. BLUs cried out as the Spy creeped away. Bodies dropped dead as the Sniper climbed up, and Medic was cried as Heavy marched away. Soon I was alone in the Stock room, anxiously listening to the Announcer's voice, using it to keep myself updated. 

"The enemy has received additional time." the voice echoed through the battlefield.

"Dammit..." I thought, hugging my knees on the seat. 

A second later I jumped as a tired but frantic man busted through the stockroom door, quickly dashing across the room with the sweep of a lab coat.

"Mein Gott..." He murmured in a hiss of frustration. I knew that voice anywhere, and I'd never noticed that he wasn't on the battlefield yet. I'd wondered why I'd heard everyone crying Medic for so long. Especially Heavy. 

"Where the hell have you been?" I asked, frowning. I knew that Medic was usually one of the first out on the field, but it had to have been at least ten minutes since the battle began, and he was just now arriving, looking like he'd been running miles from his clinic.

"Never mind, zhat!" He snapped, grabbing his pack and slinging it over his shoulder, then picking up his Medi Gun. He turned to run out so fast that the pipe connecting the gun to the pack detached. He must not have noticed as he ran out into the battlefield. I quickly launched myself to my feet, running to the door. 

"Medic!" I yelled as loud as I could. "Your gun is-" I suddenly cried out and quickly scrambled back inside the base as the boom of a Sniper Rifle was heard. Feeling the bullet wiz past my head was enough to make me panic and fly back into the base before I could say another word. 

"Shtopp zhat cart!" I heard him yell at the others.

He never heard me.