(5) "Dominated, Tiny Man!"

Hours passed...I must've been sitting in that chair for about two hours before Sniper was called to dinner by a very loud Soldier. I didn't eat...I couldn't...My stomach had already tied itself in knots and my mind was racing with questions. One side of my brain was determined that everything was alright. That Scout would be up and moving by the end of dinner...but the other side kept tearing chunks out of my heart, saying that he was already gone, and Medic had shut himself in for good. 

My chest had a heavy and dragging feeling. It had been so quiet in there for such a long time. The clinic was usually alive. I've even heard of laughter coming from the other room before, but this time, the sound of at least a tool hitting a tray was not to be heard. No cooing of doves or fluttering wings...not a word exchanged. It might've been that quiet...or just my loud thoughts blocking the sounds I really wanted to hear. Though I swore that I heard the gentle hum of a Medi gun on the other side of those doors.

I ran my hands through my hair, resting my elbows on my knees and hunching forward, looking at the floor, seeing something I'd never noticed before. A trail of blood leading all the way from the hallway to the locked clinic door. There were footprints tracked across the floor, being mine and everyone else's who'd chased me.

I wasn't surprised...

I didn't know how long I'd been waiting before I heard the quiet sound of doors being unlocked, the Medic pushing the door open ever so quietly. He looked surprised to see me as I looked up at him. More surprised to see only me. He also looked...very tired...but also relieved at the same time, which brought me a sense of bliss that I really needed. We both seemed to let out a sigh of relief before any of us said anything. He must've known the question that I was pleading answers to just by looking at me, for he quietly came out, closing the door behind him.

He sat up straight and had his hands behind his back, but held this almost worried look on his face, as if he were a bit uncertain about what he was going to say. Despite this...I was just willing to hear something after waiting this long.

"You don't have to vorry too much.." He said in a tired voice. "I've got him stable for now..."

"What in the world happened to him..?" I asked. I was slightly thrown off the relief by hearing he was only just "stable". The Medic sighed, coming to sit down next to me, this time having his hands clasped in front of him, kind of like he was trying his hardest not to fidget uncomfortably. The air in the room was very tense and heavy as I waited for him to speak. It was like waiting for a miracle that wasn't coming...

He started talking...but saying something completely different from what I was expecting...

"It vas completely my fault..." he started, looking down. "I didn't bother checking my veapon before I vent out to fight...It wouldn't vork...I saw sticky bombs fly and one stuck itself to Scout's hip..." I winced at the thought, but looked at him with a sad expression. I felt horrible...

"It almost blew him in half...I couldn't do anyzing about it until it vas over..." he finished. I wanted to say something, but the words wouldn't come out of my mouth, like they were stuck in my throat. I felt responsible...If I'd gotten to him sooner I would've saved a lot of trouble. The guys yelling at him...the near cost of the battle...and Scout...and I wasn't afraid to tell him what I was thinking.

"Don't blame yourself.." I said gently. "If anything...I saw what was wrong with your gun...I tried to tell you, but...I panicked and...retreated..." I admitted quietly, looking anywhere but him, feeling really guilty. I also felt frustrated that we were practically arguing over who's fault it was. 

"And I didn't expect zhat much from you..." He replied. I looked at over at him. "I vas too mad to listen to anybody vhen I left..."

I had wondered for a bit why he was so mad when he bursted into the supply room. He never answered before, but I was still curious. 

"What...were you mad about..?" I asked quietly, hoping he wouldn't have the same response as before. I had nothing to fear though, for this time he just shrugged. 

"Somezhing shtupid..." was all he said, shaking his head. "Papiers....Buchs...If that wasn't all I was wrapped up in...Maybe I vould've-"

"Stop it..." I snapped quietly, nudging him. He looked at me this time, about to protest when I interrupted him.  "Hush...we all make mistakes...and I don't blame you for trying your hardest...especially out there where it's important. You got him back and he's going to be alright because that's what you do...you fixed your mistake...so there's no need for blame..."

He was silent for a second before he quietly nodded.

"Right..." a slight smile slowly appeared on his face as he stood up. I stood up as well and stretched. I needed it after the long hours of not moving. He looked at me again, looking to the clinic doors , then back to me. He looked a little more relaxed now that we both no longer had a load of guilt on our shoulders. I could easily say I felt happier until...

"He's going to be in zere for a vhile...so you know vhat that means..?" He asked. I shook my head.

"No...what..?"

"You're going to have to take his place until he recovers..."