Fiction. - The Blurb

Fiction;
(n.) something feigned, invented, or imagined; a made up story.

尼科

His happiness, my happiness, no matter how plausible it seemed to be, was pure fiction. And, in the end, that was the worst hamartia of all. It was the fatal flaw that ended the both of us. . .

-

Nikolás Flores was an average American teenage boy. Probably one of the nicest guys out there. He was seventeen with short curly black hair, an olive complexion, height of five foot eleven, and light hazel-green eyes. He, as well as his mother, were probably the only reason I ever passed Spanish my Junior year. More than that, he was my best friend, an unlikely one in all honesty. A kid with excellent music taste (mostly due to being similar to my own) and an artistic talent beyond compare. Art was one of the only things he had in his life to love. It was one of the only ways he could ever express himself.

That was just Niko. Everybody seemed to love him. They loved how awkward and funny he was. Even if they had never actually talked to him. He was just a guy. An average teenager trying to get through high school. But, unlike most seventeen-year-olds, he never cared about what others thought. He never cared about needing to have a hundred friends and being popular. He only cared about having people he could be close to and not worrying about being stabbed in the back or judged for what and who he likes, leaving him with only a handful of people to consider as close friends. i could only wish I had been one of those friends sooner. Maybe then things would have ended up differently.

But it all reached a certain point at times. And I never saw it; I was oblivious to the signs that he had almost become an expert at hiding. There were so may days that I could have seen him and just reached out to him. There were so many days that my presence alone was what kept him sane for a little while longer. Kept him holding on. Even the beginning of our friendship was an opportunity missed.

But losing him was my biggest fear, and suddenly, I believed it was becoming something more than just that. Suddenly, I realized that he was slipping away.