Chapter Three : Never Gonna Be Alone

Music is an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color. More than that, music is something that the world would be lost without. Something I would be lost without. It was one of the things that brought me happiness on a daily basis, which was how I had found myself joining band my freshman year.

Rosie was still slowly turning into a friend at the time, trying to talk me into do so many different clubs and sports with her, when finally I gave in agreeing to join band and marching band along with it. There were close to two hundred kids in the band, which freaked me out more than anything at the time, but I was good at what I did and I enjoyed it more than anything. So I was introduced to the world of percussion and band and so many different friends.

But somehow throughout those friends, they never involved Niko at all. Sadly. But that summer was different. Niko and I were beginning to resemble what you could call friends, due to the many nights we spent staying up and attempting to beat each other at various different Xbox games. Rosie was slowly warming up to the idea that Niko wasn't as weird as she had originally thought. Things were looking up for my life at this new school. Summer was being brought slowly to an end, and with that end came the marching band season. A time where I actually had something to do instead of sitting on my ass every second of the day.

The first day was nerve wracking like most. I drove there, my bag of percussion sticks sitting on the seat next to mine, Rosie's piccolo on top of that. I was supposed to pick her up before hand so we could buy some breakfast considering it was only six in the morning. But as I began to look over my shoulder and back out of the drive way, a loud knocking on my window scared the living hell out of me.

"Holy shit," I mumbled, slamming on the brakes and looking out of the window to see Niko with a light grimace on his lips. I quickly rolled my window down. "There are better ways to get someone's attention, you know."

I admit it was slightly rude, but it was six in the morning; I was tired and hungry and honestly, I wouldn't have minded go back up the stairs and curling up until my fluffy, comfy blanket. But, alas, that was not the case, much to my dismay.

"Sorry. I was wondering, um, can I get a ride? My car won't start..." I closed my eyes, trying to calm myself. I didn't want to be a complete bitch the kid. After all, he had good intentions. He just wanted to get to band, and I was probably his only hope.

Slowly, I nodded. "Yeah. Sure. Hop in."

"Thank you so much," he breathed a sigh of relief, lifting his trumpet case and tossing it in my backseat. I shook my head with a slight smile, kind of relieved at the sudden arrangements. I hated driving alone, almost as much as I hated actually being or feeling alone.

I watched as he climbed into the passenger seat, lifting the small little cases onto his lap and getting comfortable. "Erin, you truly are a life saver."

"Not all the time." I laughed.

"True. You not once have had my back while playing Zombies." I glanced at his smirking face before returning my attention to the road I was currently attempting to back up onto.

"Ha. Ha. Says the one who shot at me I don't know how many times."

"Maybe if you wouldn't always run in my way. . ." I scoffed, rolling my eyes, even though I knew it was true. My life may consist of music and Xbox, but I honestly couldn't predict how stupid each of my moves could be. I was always running around, trying to avoid getting murdered in the process of shooting at the countless zombies.

"You're ridiculous." I began to laugh again, but stopped short, letting my ears focus on the song playing. It was a song that I couldn't hear at that point in time. A song I wasn't ready to let myself hear. The words, the band, the overall sound to the song, the overall meaning, the person who it automatically reminded me of. It was too much. Too much for so early in the morning. Too much for any point in the day. My hands tightened on the steering wheel and tears brimmed in my eyes. I knew I should've deleted it. I should've just cleared the song from my history.