Chapter 14

What is happening?

How is this happening?

Why is this happening?

Did I just hear my best friend tell me she's getting married?

No.. I'm just dreaming. I have to be dreaming.

"Riley, did you hear me?" She asks getting in my face. I stare at her with a stare I didn't know I had. I'm more horrified than happy.

"You're what?!" I finally let out.

"I'm getting married!" She shouts and jumps up and down a little.

"Look!" She says as she holds out her hand and shows me a small, but flashy diamond ring. I am speechless. She instantly jumps on me and hugs me tight. I don't hug her back. How can Ii hug her back? In no ways do I support this. It takes her a while, but she let go. She backs up with a confused face.

"I know you and Ryder aren't on good terms, but I love him Riley!"

I step back and sit down on the bar stool. I feel like I'm getting light headed.

"Love?" I question with pure sincerity.

"Yes love!" She cheers. I'm developing another headache. I need to find some pain killers. "I've never met someone like him! He's everything I've ever wanted! And he wants to marry me! ME of all people!"

She spins in a circle of awe of herself. How is she so love struck? This man could be a murderer for all she knows! He's never been nothing but trouble anyways!

"Amber you've been with him a little over a month! You can't be in love with him, let alone be marrying him!"

She steps a step away from me and crosses her arms.

"But can't you see, I am? Why else would I have said yes!?"

"Possibly because you're insane!" I shout. I start to noticing the anger building inside me. This is not my best friend. She would never do this. She might have played hookie once or twice in 8th grade so that she could spend a little extra time with her dad before he passed, but that was the only time she could ever make a commitment to due to the fact that she was so indecisive. Her boyfriends have come and gone, and most lasted longer than a month, yet she's never said she's loved them. Call me crazy, but love does not work that fast!

"I am not insane!" she says with fire sparking inside her as well. I hear a door open and look to my side. Austin walks out, scratching his head then says "What's going on?"

Before I can answer, Amber screams, "You're just jealous of me because you can't keep a man longer than a night!"

Ohhhh that is it! My blood is boiling!

"Me?" I say, eyes nearly bulging out of my head. How could she turn against me like this? I'm just trying to look out for her! "Says the girl who slept with the entire football team in hopes to make friends. That only got you the reputation of a slut and then nobody wanted to talk to you!"

I can't help that I said that. I automatically feel regret.

"I guess that's why I've remained friends with you since you were the biggest slut at school." She fights back. Okay, the regret is going away. "Cody only liked you for your fat ass and nice car. You owe me this considering I was the one who was there when he left you crying in Walmart's parking lot. I'm leaving before you piss me off to the point of where I don't ask you to be in my wedding."

I bite my tongue and watch her grab her purse off the table. If I say something now, it'll lead to an even bigger argument that will damage us both. She marches back out the door and slams it with a loud thud. Our neighbors probably hate us right about now.

I let out the hugest groan once she's gone.

"UGHHHH!"

This did not just happen. It couldn't have. I hate Ryder. He's nothing but a drunk and druggie. He's using Amber for a roof over his head and money to buy more weed. I knew him in middle school and nothing has changed. He hasn't grown up and i'm afraid he never will. He doesn't deserve MY Amber!

"Fucking... UGHHH" I shout once more letting out all my rage. I don't know if I want to cry or just be beyond pissed. There is too much emotion running through my head.

I pace up and down the living room hall thinking.

I have to fix this.

I can't let her marry him.

I won't let her marry him.

I turn to Austin remembering he was still in the room.

"Do you think if I called an insane asylum, they'd lock her away? It wouldn't hurt to try, would it? She doesn't love him. Love doesn't happen this quickly. That's crazy, right? I need to call her mom, that's what I need to do. Her mom could fix everything," I bicker. I reach into my pocket to find my phone once I answer my own questions. A hand grabs it of my hand and I object. "I need to call her mom, Austin! She's the only one who can stop this!"

He looks at me in an unappealing way.

"Riley, you need to chill."

"CHILL?" I over exaggeratedly yell.

"Yes," he says letting out a deep unwelcome sigh. "It's 3:10 in the morning. You're tired and I'm tired and you're over thinking everything. Let's just go to bed and we'll figure everything out in the morning."

I stare at him for some time. He's right. He has to be right. I know i'm overreacting, but this is the only person who I turn to in my time of needs. She's someone I can't let go no matter how much I try to. She's MY person. I can't let her do this.

My breathing is still over escalated, but I close my eyes and let out another sigh. I do just need to chill.

"Okay," I say and reopen my eyes. Taking his advice will hopefully calm me the fuck down.

"Then come," he says reaching out for me to take his hand. I shake my head.

"Oh no, It's okay, I'll be fine with the couch tonight. Thank you for breakfast this morning by the way. I'm sorry I couldn't stay and eat it."

A sadness fall on him. He licks his lips and let his hand fall back down to his side.

"Whatever," he then speaks rather quietly. I give him a simple smile and turn to take off my jacket. I feel his presence still behind me. I turn to see why.

"I don't care what you say, you're upset and no girl should alone when she's upset. You're sleeping with me," he speaks up and this time grabs my hand and pulls me with him before I can recall the sweet words he just said.

"Okay," I say again without meaning to once we're inside his room. I get another night in Austin Vercetti's arms? I must be pushing my luck cause I don't know how this is happening.

Maybe he'll be like Ryder and say he loves me tomorrow, then get down on one knee to ask for my hand in marriage the next. Maybe I'll be able to run to Ambers apartment at 3 in the morning to share my good news. Maybe, just maybe then i'll understand what's going on in Amber Heartland's small but overly eager mind. Cause from the outside looking in, all I see are clouds. And they are definitely blurring her vision.

____

(A/N)

Ehhhh I don't know if I made this feisty enough... I might come back and edit it later. For right now it fits so i'm going to leave it. Hope you enjoy!

Much love, -// K.L.

*DON'T BE A SILENT READER*