Section C, Dorm 23: Prologue

"You know, I am sorry Riley. I don't know how many times I have to say that," Amber rattles on as we walk up the stairs of my new home.

"You can say it as many times as you want to, but it still won't change the fact of the situation." I bicker back. Today is not my day and because of her is why it is not my day. I really don't even want to be near her at the moment.

My plan was to attend college with my best friend. That's every girls dream, right? After high school graduation you have three short months to prepare yourself for the crazy, overwhelming, yet thrilling adventure that is actually the start of your life. My official and more detailed plan was to move out of my parents house and for Amber and I to get one of the shared dorms on campus, and as of two days ago the plan was still in effect. However, yesterday morning Amber called me crying and apologizing because she couldn't move in and blah blah blah. I roll my eyes intensively at this part due to the amount of bullshit I put up with her, yet she's too stupid to realize how good of a friend I am. So here I am now, moving into a shared dorm with someone I don't know. I hence just thinking of all the horrifying possibilities I could get considering this being a last minute reservation. I swear if she's anything like Lola from Zoey 101, I'm moving out and just driving the hour every day to school.

My parents wanted me to do that actually. They didn't and still don't think I should move out until I get a steady job and potential husband. They were fooled when they came home to an empty room and a daughter telling them she'd see them every weekend. They support it though because they love me and maybe because they think I'm going to be living with Amber and that she's not ditching me to go live with her boyfriend of two weeks. Let's just say I'm not going to be the one to inform them that I have no idea who I'll be living with for the next year or the fact that I possibly won't be speaking to Amber ever again.

"At least roll your eyes at me so I can see you're mad so we can move on," Amber says once we get to the top of the stairwell and make our way down to section c, dorm 23. "and btw what do you have in these bags? A dead body?"

I stick my key inside the keyhole and open what was supposed to be our shared dorm. A warm rush washes over me as I find that it is still vacant and I could potentially be the only one living here.

"Hello? Earth to Riley. Are you even listening to me?"

I walk in and set the two boxes I was carrying on the kitchen counter. I turn around and stare Amber in the eye. I can't do this anymore. "No, I'm not listening to you. You are on my shit list as of right now so please leave before you dig yourself into a bigger hole or the become the dead body I'm carrying in my shoe bag."

She acts hurt at this, but I know she's not. She just sticks up her nose and walks out. She'll be back in about five minutes with a perturbed excuse that she needs my help with something. I know her. And I also know it's not like her to move in with a guy that she's only know for 14 days.

I'll have to figure her out later. She's the least of my problems right now.

I shut the door and head back down to my car to unload the rest of my belongings. After roughly 7 trips up and down the stairs, I have most of everything out of my vehicle. All I have left is my flat screen which I can not carry so I asked one of my other best friends to come up here and help me out once he gets off work. If only he were attending this college. He'd be the best roommate I could ever have.

I start unloading boxes, but pull away for a moment when I realize just how thirsty I am. As I walk into the kitchen, I check my phone, and I see that I was right. I have 9 missed calls from Amber and a pleading text message that it's a life or death situation. I dial her number while I take a cup out of the box I have labeled 'kitchen'. She answers on the first ring.

"I need to know what shoes you are going to wear to the K.L. party."

I groan as I gulp down my nearly full glass of water.

"Since when are shoes life or death?"

This K.L. party is all Amber has been able to talk about for the past four months. You get your invite as soon as you walk the stage at graduation. That is if you are popular enough to get in and are attending the uni. At the time of getting the hand outs, I was messing around with one of our school's varsity football players, ergo the invite to this party was a piece of cake. Getting Amber an invite was harder than I thought it would be considering her loud mouth and the lack of friends she has. Corey was a good ex though and scored us both our way in the door. I question what it would be like if I was still with him.. Nope, I don't even want to go there.

"Riley, I need to know." Amber tells me impatiently.

"Let me think on it and I'll call you back," I say before rudely hanging up. I get that for Amber, this could be the party that gets her somewhere, but honestly I don't even think I want to attend anymore. It is 3 and a half months away anyways so I have time to decide what I'll do.

I set my glass down and look around. I definitely don't want to finish unpacking right now. My lip growls and I force myself to get it done. If I don't do it now, I won't do it later. And if I do happen to get a roommate, I want her to at least see i'm somewhat organized. Hopefully she'll be the same. That is if I get one. Maybe my luck will turn around. I could really use some sort of bright side right now.

I sigh as I sit back on the floor and open another box. I'm getting frustrated with college and college doesn't even start for another 2 weeks. This is just the start, Riley. Breathe because this is just the beautiful start.