Chapter 20

Dedicated to popstar6848 for all of her comments, votes and messages! Thank you!
................................................................

"Thanks, for the ride." I sigh. It's 10pm, the sky is pitch black. The only lights illuminating my quiet village is the street lights, which cast mysterious shadows through the darkness. I peck Luke on the lips. "See you tomorrow."

"Yeah. Talk to your mum." He answers. After we talked about our pasts, I stayed for dinner then we just chilled out watching TV.

"I will." I cast a look at my house, the lounge light is on. Mum must be up waiting for me.

"Okay."

"Alright. Bye!" I blow him a kiss over my shoulder making him chuckle.

"Night, princess." I walk into my house shutting the door behind me. I take in a deep breath and slide my shoes off of my feet. My school bag has been hung up on a peg. I'm still dressed in Luke's sweatpants and shirt.

"Ella is that you?" My mums high voice asks. Her tone sounds vulnerable, broken. I follow the direction of her voice, which is coming from the lounge.

"No mum it's a burglar who's using the front door." I joke in a bored tone not even attempting to bite back on the sarcasm.

"Stop with the rudeness and just come here." She breaths. From her tone I can tell that she is trying to keep calm and strong.

On walking into the lounge I gasp. Oh My God. She's on the couch wrapped up in a ball. Her eyes are red and her hair messy, sticking up in spikes at peculiar angles.

"Mum!" I stutter, my hand flying to my mouth. "What happened?" She sniffs loudly and tilts her chin up to look at me.

"I'm such a bad mother." She howls burying her face in her knees again. I run over and curl up next to her hugging her.

"Don't say things like that." I coo brushing some hair out of her face.
"Where's Josh?" I ask. My mums face drops, if that's still possible, her small fingers wrapping itself around a loose bit of string from her tatty, old pyjama top.

"Shortly after you left he did too. Said something about clearing his head. I got a text from him saying that he's staying over at Becca's." She explains quietly, pulling viciously at the loose thread.

"I'm sure he's fine. He was older than me when dad left, he had to comfort me while you fought. So he's probably just been reminded of the whole event. Becca will talk some sense into him. You'll see, don't worry." I pick her hand up and begin massaging her fingers.

"Oh Ella. I shouldn't of introduced Darren to you like that. I shouldn't of trapped you. I am so sorry."

"Mum. Shh. It's ok. I just wasn't expecting it. I'm sure Darren's great. When I walked into the house I was so confused. I mean you were home and laughing, chatting. In the kitchen you were beaming, your face lit up. I can't remember you being that happy since... Since..." I can't bring myself to say his name. A large lump rises in my throat. He's not been a paternal figure to me at all. "David."

"Oh what has he done to us? I've been an awful mother since him, working all the time, I've missed so much of your life. You and josh are like little adults."

"Mum we still need you. We still love you. We're just waiting for you. We know that what David did hurt you. Honestly you didn't deserve that and I hate him for everything." I spit my fists clenching.

"I'm going to ask for shorter shifts, go part time if I need to. I'm going to come home and make meals which we will all sit down and enjoy. I'm going to ask you about your day, let you have party's and invite friends over. We're going to be like a really family. It's about time that I realised that I don't need a man by my side to operate."