Chapter 22

LEN'S POV

As I held Rin close to my chest while I heard her still crying. My heart clenched painfully while I looked down at Rin. I held her there for awhile while the others kept on applauding. When I looked down again to check how she was doing, she had already fallen asleep.

I looked helplessly at out teacher but he was also busy applauding with the rest of the students. Then I looked over to Oliver to ask for help, he easily got the message and stood up discreetly nd came over to me. I carried Rin, making sure that I had a firm grip on her sleeping form and we both went out of the classroom without anyone noiticing us. Oliver and I walked in the hallways in silence, Rin's snores that can only be heard. My eyes trailed over her sleeping form, my eyes gradually softening, eyeing how her face looked so innocent and pure while she slept blissfully.

Oliver coughed to catch my attention. I turned to look at him.

"What happened to her?" He asked.

I just shook my head, my eyes turning back to stare at Rin's peaceful face. "She fell asleep. The stress might have gotten to her a little."

He seemed to accept my answer because he nodded and didn't ask anymore than that. We both walked to the infirmary in comfortable silence, and frankly, I didn't feel like talking either. Just when we were about to turn a corner, we had the misfortune to bump into Mister Golden-eyed genius of the school. I felt my self stiffen and grit my teeth. Oliver must have sensed it too, knowing he stepped closer and touched my shoulder reassuringly.

Mister Golden boy, Rei fucking Kagene, seemed shocked to see me especially Rin sleeping in my arms right now. I saw something flicker before it disappeared completely and he smiled pleasantly at me. I had to stifle a smug smirk. 

"Hello," he said airily. He looked at Rin in concern before his smile turned a little strained when he looked up to address me. "What happened to her?"

I rolled my eyes at him, shrugging nonchalantly. "She passed out if you couldn't see, so we're taking her to the infirmary to rest." I said easily.

If I knew my cousin well enough, I know he was looking at me wide eye and gaping like a fool. He must be mentally screaming at me to stop and get a move on, but I just couldn't. Seeing his face, it irritates me further. I want to smash his face with my fist but in the moment I'm incapable of doing such thing. Rin is sleeping in my arms afterall and I'm going to milk it as long as I can.

"Do you need help with her?" Rei asked me casually, casting a concerned look at Rin.

My eyes narrowed at him, pressing Rin closer to my chest. "No need to do something that noble Kagene," I spat.

I walked past him, noting slightly that Oliver followed behind me as well. I was about to walk further but what he said stopped me in my tracks and made my blood boil.

"I didn't expect you to have fallen so far Kagamine. You do still remember our agreement right? If you do, you should know that the deadline is coming near."

~X~

I placed Rin gently on the bed, covering her body with the blanket. Oliver quietly closed the door to the infirmary behind him. I hear him shift and before I knew it, he was standing right beside me. We both stayed in relative silence, I watching the steady rise and fall of Rin's chest while Oliver stared outside the window.

"Tell me, Len." Oliver paused to look at me critically. "What did he mean that the 'deadline is coming near'?"

I sighed, ruffling my hair in frustration. "I fucked up Ollie. I didn't mean for this to go so far, this wasn't supposed to happen."

Oliver stared at me wide-eyed. "What did you do Len?"

"You already know that I hate, more like despise, Rei Kagene. So back in first semester, he suggested that we have a bet to end our rivalry and see who is truly the best..."

"What about we end this childish squabble once and for all Len?" Rei suggested, standing infront of me while I was in the gardens.

"Then how do you suggest we end this?" I asked him wearily.

He smiled that condescending way of his and I really wanted to punch the lights out of him, while in the process of making his pretty face unrecognizable. Sadly, I couldn't do that. There were to many witnesses.

"A bet, of course. This will finally end this stupid rivalry and see who is the best of the best," He answered, matter-of-factly. "I suggest that we will get a girl to fall in love with us naturally, not in any kind of dirty means. After that, break her heart and leave her in front of a whole crowd of the students watching. There is one condition though, we should not fall in love with that specific girl."

"Who do you suggest then?" I asked him, raising an eyebrow.

He smirked, pointing at a blonde girl with a big white ribbon resting on top of her head while following the two well-known popular girls in school, Luka and Miku.

"We will get Rin Kagami, resident Ice Queen, to fall in love with us and then break her heart." He told me.

I considered this, it shouldn't be hard to let her fall in love with me right? After all, no girl can resist my charm. I nodded in agreement.

"Fine. When will the bet end?" I asked him.

"Before prom," He told me, finally walking away.

After I finished telling Oliver what happened, I pressed my mouth into a thin line. I felt something hard hit my cheek before I found myself on the ground, staring up at Oliver in shock. He punched me. The sweet and mischievous Ollie punched me! I didn't expect that he could do that.

"You scumbag!" Oliver yelled at me. "I didn't expect you to lower yourself like this! You're just trash now, you're not like the person I used to look up too and admire the most. Is Rin-san only a thing to you? A mere prize?"

I stood up, forgetting the painful throbbing of my cheek. I glared at him. "How dare you? Of course not! She's not a prize!"

"Then what is she to you?" He yelled back.

"She's my best friend. She's my partner and she's the one...the one..." I trailed off.

"The one?" He pressed further.

"...She's the one I love..." I said, finally realizing what Oliver wanted to hear from me.

I looked at Oliver in surprise to see him with a smug smirk, arms crossed over his chest. That smart bastard. He made me realize something and admit the one thing I'm afraid of anyone finding out.

"See? You've already got your answer. Are you still going to continue the bet any longer or no? Because in the end, the one who will get hurt will be the both of you." Oliver pointed out, glancing at Rin for a second.

Well he's right about that. I don't give a damn about the bet anymore and I don't care who's going to be the best between Rei and I. Right now, I need to tell Rin how I feel and tell her the truth. On why I started to talk to her so suddenly. Then, I'll see how everything will go from there.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

A/N: I can only say is that, Mid-Terms. I'm going to be very very busy. I'll be in constant anxiety TT-TT