Ch 31. Some People Still Have Their Hearts Left

Start from the beginning

My mind went blank. It's like I fell into darkness. Now I don't have any choices. I can't let Chris die. He saw that I was about to surrender and laughed like there's no tomorrow. I feel defeated. But I have to say that this man has lost his pride. Tears were streaming down my cheeks and I felt red all over my face.

"Crying is no use." he smiled.

"As if I thought that. If it would had worked I'd used it long time ago." He "tch"-ed me and brought the knife closer to Chris's throat. He made a squeaky sound and closed his eyes, ready to die.

"You're not going to die." I told Chris and tried to calm him down. He didn't dare to talk because his adam's apple would definitely get cut by then.

"Okay. I give up." I said. Marcus let off the knife and gave me a devilish smile. My tears wouldn't stop and sobbing came up.

"Stop this Marcus." someone said. I followed the sound and my eyes landed on Carolynne. She was a weak and covered her face that I bet was all red and full of tears, just like mine.

"What?! Carolynne what are you saying?!"

"Enough!" she shrieked. Her hands fell off her face and she finally looked like my mother again. It's like she melted when I fought with Marcus, telling him what they had done to me. "I can't let this continue! Stop everything. I can't let my Krystal become like this." I looked deeply into her eyes.

"...Mom?" I asked. She smiled and it was like I returned to the past when receiving her angelic smile.

"My Krystal..." She reached out to a hug and I jumped in immediately. My mother has finally awaken and I couldn't wait to hug her tightly.

"Thank you..." I whispered to her ear. I could feel her cheek move and knew that she was smiling.

"I can't allow this!" a grunt voice from back screamed. I knew that it was Marcus and let go of mom. We smiled to each other before meeting Marcus's face.

"What?" I said, with more confidence ever.

"Carolynne! Why have you switched sides?!" She was smiling.

"I actually realised that I was being brainwashed by you, Marilynne and James." I reacted a bit when hearing their name, since I had started harbouring a bit of hatred to them since this had happened.

"And actually, you were never brainwashed. That much I know because I always knew about your other self." she said. He looked defeated.

"What do you mean?" he asked, trying to pretend being all innocent.

"Every time you though that the kids and I weren't looking you always wore a dark face honey. It started to come about 2 years after we got the kids." She looked away when I noticed that his face was dark after all. "I stood out because I had faith in you but now I notice that you have let that side of you take over your whole body. You're not the man I fell in love with 18 years ago. I really thought that it was nothing since you were so pure and that pureness would take it over. Unless... that this dark side was the real you." He flinched when hearing it.

"C-Carolynne..." he said and used his puppy eyes that didn't really look that cute.

"If you tell about everything I'll take a divorce and leave."

"Mom! There's no need to stay with him for my sake!" I told her.

"I know. I admit that I don't love him anymore but this is the only way. If I take a divorce he'll tell anyway." I hesitated because I hate when people protect me, but she's right.

"Sorry mom..." I apologised. She smiled that angelic smile again. She reached her hand to my cheek.

"I should be the one apologising for actually getting dragged by Marcus." We hugged once again and after a while Chris joined us too.