The Devi's Angel - Chapter 9

Bắt đầu từ đầu

With a ding the doors slid open, a warm and welcoming light shining from within.

Once both Castiel and I were safely within the lift, the door slid shut and the lift jolted into movement. Glancing upwards, I smiled and waved at the small camera perched in the corner. Trust the Madam to have remote control over the lift too. That woman couldn't leave a single thing to chance.

Lucius had tried to recruit her several years ago but the Angels had obviously won out. He had offered her an obscene salary to take over Phil's position after his departure from the company but nothing he had offered could sway her to his employ.

A small ding announced our arrival into the executive suite of Angel HQ. The office had greatly differed since Gabriel's leadership. Idly I wondered what she had done with all of his things because everything within the walls was new. Gone was the wall to ceiling bookshelves which had been filled with ancient tomes. Instead the space was sparsely furnished, the walls painted a crisp white. The only touch of colour and the only touch of femininity were the vibrant flowers which were perfectly arranged in vases about the space.

The woman herself was stood before the glass window, nothing more than a silhouette against the sunlight streaming through the glass. She knew we were here. It was clear from her body language she was aware of our presence, the way her head turn ever so slightly towards us and her hands clenched at her sides but everything in life was about posturing.

After several moments of silence, she turned and offered us a stiff smile.

"Welcome." Her voice was cool and collected, as far from welcoming as the woman could manage. "Please take a seat. I have already sent for some tea though by the looks of you two, you could both do with something a little bit stronger."

Glancing down, I tried not to let a blush form on my cheeks when I noted the rip in my top. No wonder I was drawing a few stares.

"We had a slight altercation." I offered, sharing a glance with Castiel before looking back at the woman.

Madame, or Ethel Brown as she had been christened, was a commanding woman. Her bone structure was sharp, made harder still by the woman's no nonsense nature. She pursed her lips at my words, her fingers pulling her suit jacket into position before she took a seat by her expansive white desk.

"Don't treat me like I am stupid, Savannah. I know more about your kind and the people I work for than any of those imbeciles do." She waved her hand towards the window before looking down her long nose to fix her imperious gaze upon us.

"That may be so but it is always best to be cautious. Telling your secrets when they may be used against you is never a wise move." I replied, offering a smile to her.

Madame's lips lifted at the corners ever so slightly before she leaned back in her chair. "I like you Miss Holmes. Most of the sycophants around here would have just wimped before leaning down to kiss my shoes." Quickly the expression left her face and she leaned forwards, her hands resting casually on the top of the desk. "That being said, you have not explained why you are here. I allowed you to come as a courtesy but I am not stupid enough to allow you free reign of our computer systems without knowing what you intend to use them for."

I glanced at Castiel who after a long moment nodded his head.

"We need to trace a vehicle." I started, my gaze meeting hers defiantly. "A young woman was kidnapped a few hours ago. There were gunshots fired and the perpetrators got away. We did manage to capture one of them however he has proved rather resistant to interrogation tactics."

Madame brushed a black strand of hair back into place in her harsh chin length hair cut. "And let me guess, you do not want the police to be involved."