The Half Brother [9]

Sophie:

When the doorbell rang, I was expecting it to be my dad but it turned out to be Tyra standing there all bruised up. For a second I didn't know what to say. I was surprised at how she got her, how she knew where I lived and what was wrong with her face? Was she okay? I pulled her into a hug straight away, however Tyra didn't wrap her arms around me.

"Tyra. Come on in!" I said taking her into the living room, placing her on the sofa. "Don't move." I warned before running back to Jay.

"Tyra's here?" He asked

"Yes, she's bleeding. Go and see, I'll get the first aid," I simply replied switching off the light as Jay ran out of the room. I went into the kitchen, searching through all the drawers for a first aid kit. The last thing I really wanted right now was to lose it. I looked through all the cupboards, before finding it and rushing out.

"What happened?" Jay asked as I put the wet cotton wool on her face, wiping it gently trying not to let it hurt her wound. She winced, but tried her best to keep still. She was so strong.

"I fell down on the way here..." she said, her voice trailing away and I knew it was a lie. That was no doubt.

"Oh shut up," Jay muttered getting angry, "tell me!"

"I told you."

"Tell. Me." Jay's voice really annoyed now.

"Do you really want to know? Well, hear me out then! My mum beat me up, she said I didn't deserve her, and she didn't want to see my face again. What else do you want to know?" She spat back, her voice thick and tears rolling down her face. I felt bad being in the same room as them. Maybe I should leave...

"Urm, I'll just-" I said, getting up and throwing the cotton wool in the bin. I headed towards the door, putting my hoodie on and my trainers. "go away, and give you some time?"

"No, it's okay." Jay said.

"I'll be back in 5 minutes," I smiled closing the door behind me, and running down the stairs. I just left my own flat with my two friends. I sighed, as I opened the flat blocks door and then started walking down the road. It must be 11, or something I wasn't exactly sure and it was freezing. That was great. The local shops were all closed which made it even worse. I could have went and ate something.

I decided to go down the 10 minutes walk to TESCO's, that was opened 24 hours and maybe I could get a magazine or something. I started walking fast, taking long steps after the other. Once I reached there, I went right in and up to the reading section.

"Why are you here?" I heard a voice, I turned around to see Shane. More like, what was he doing here?

"What's it to you?" I asked. Why was I being so mean?

"Your wearing PJ shorts." He laughed, smiling.

"Oh crap!" I said, totally forgetting about what I was wearing. Oh my god. No wonder I was so cold. I needed to get out of here, fast.

"I need to go," I said about to walk away when he grabbed my hand. He was actually hurting my hand, but it felt warm.

"I'll walk you home," he said with a modest smile. I sighed as he pulled me back and we walked out of the store together. Suddenly, I wished I never left the flat.

It was getting colder, as I tried to wrap myself around my hoodie. I was wearing trainers, and some PJ shorts as well as a short pink top but, the hoodie covered that. Shane looked at me every now and then, when he finally offered his leather jacket putting it on top of my hoodie. Although I felt instant warmth, I felt bad.

"No, seriously, your wearing a short sleeved top," I said.

"Na, no problem."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

As we walked, we talked about everything that you could possibly imagine. It felt so good to have someone who you could relate to. Shane's own flat was about 5 minutes away. He gave me a quick hug, dropping me outside my flat door and then walked off. His leather jacket on his back. I smiled, unlocking the door with the keys and walking in to see Tyra sleeping in Jay's arm. He put her glently on the sofa and then got up running towards me.

"Where were you?" He demanded.

"Nowhere?" I said, surprised he was asking as I took my trainers off. Dad was home, he was in his room and it was locked. Probably sleeping.

"I was worried sick."

"How long has it even been?" I said with a shrug, checking the time. It was 12:15. Damn, how long did I stay with Shane? How did a 10 minute walk turn into 1 hour 15 minutes?

"You didn't even take your phone, and your wearing your shorts! I was scared someone raped you."

"Oh shut up," I said waving my hands at him.

"I was truly scared."

"Okay, but I'm home now so just shut up and be happy. I'm going asleep, knackered." I said walking into my room. Jay wasn't far behind. He put Tyra on the bed, who was dead to the world and then he made himself comfortable on his mattress on the floor.

"Sophie, be honest with me," he said bringing up the topic again. I sighed a little, rolling my eyes.

"I went to tesco's and ran into Shane."

"Him?" He said, his voice going up.

"Well, na."

"What did you do then?"

"Nothing!" I said, "he walked me home."

"Oh yeah, whatever."

"I'm being honest." I said wanting to laugh now. He was being stupid. I brushed off the topic, asking how Tyra was. She had no home, and he was taking her home with his foster family tomorrow. That was generous of him.

"Okay, I need some sleep," I said yawning loudly before rubbing my eyes and going into my bed. Jay smiled at me.

"Good night Sophie."

"Good night Jay," I responded. I closed my eyes.