The Half Brother [2]

Sophie:

BUZZ.BUZZ.BUZZ.

I was awaken by the stupid alarm clock. I hated alarm clocks. I was the worst person in mornings. I could never get myself off the bed, and even if I did my mood was snappy until the afternoon. It was just how I was. I sighed as I pretended to be fast asleep. Dad must be up way before me because he hit the stop button and then came over to me. I tried to be fast asleep and dad pulled my blanket off me

"Rise and shine!" He said, grinning.

"Ugh!" I said trying to get my blanket back on me but Dad held it back and away from me. I sighed, as I got up and rubbed my eyes. I looked at the time. It as 6:45 and school started at 8:30 I had enough time.

I took a shower. A really quick shower. I didn't have enough time to fool around. I let my hair sink into the shampoo smell of strawberries and then used my LUSH shower jellies all over me laughing. They were great fun. I was like a little kid.

Once I came out, I got changed into school uniform which made this whole journey suck. We had uniform. I sighed. It was just a polo shirt with the school logo and a skirt with tights if wanted. It was quite chilly, so I decided to throw tights on and then threw my feet into some black plain flats. I got my bag, throwing some school essentials inside and then heading out of the door.

Dad came running after me. "Do you want me to drive you there?"

"Urh... how far is it?"

"About... 20 minutes by walking." He said.

I made a face. "Well, duh." I said as Dad unlocked the car, I took a seat putting my bag next to my foot as he drove off.

It was pretty awkward for the first 5 minutes of the drive. By car it took about 10/15 minutes. I wasn't quite sure why dad would move to a house where the school was so far away. I could take the bus next time. It wasn't fair how americans could drive at 16, and here you'd have to wait till your 18. I might as well just move to America.

Dad parked outside a huge building, blank and boring. A thousand of kids were walking around. Some were in groups sitting on the fields eating. Some were on their own, some were in pairs or threes. People everyone. I got out of the car. Dad opened his side of the car, coming out too

"Caretaker first day. Student first day." He said giving me a wave before walking off to the main office reception. I sighed

 I threw my bag on my shoulder again as I walked. My eyes were on the building in front of me. How the hell was I even going to get used to traveling around here? I nearly tripped, lost in thoughts, when a pair of hands helped me balance. My eyes widened to see a guy.

"Careful there." He said, offering a hand out. I took it nicely as he gave it a squeeze "I'm Jay."

"I'm Sophie." I said with a half-smile

"Oh! I'm your guide." He said rolling his eyes and laughing until he saw my expression. I was confused. "The school's very big, so every new person has a guide who will stick with them and help them so... your in all my classes."

"Oh, that's nice." I said. This school had some good ideas. I was never going to make it through the school on my own.

"Yeah." He said walking, I tried to keep up with him. He winked to a couple of girls, and waved at a group of boys who must be his friends. "Ah, sorry, well- let's take you to your first lesson then." He said just then the bell rang.

-------

Jay:

A girl was about to trip, I ran towards her helping her steady as she regained her balance back. The first thing that hit me was how beautiful she was. She had just below shoulder length dark auburn hair, and brown eyes. The same brown eyes... I had. Everyone loved my eyes. It was almost identical. Her nose was chubby, but cute and she had the perfect lips. When she told me her name is Sophie, I realised this was the girl I was going to tour.

I took her inside the school, the corridors filing with kids as they bustled past to get to their lessons. I was used to this rumble every lesson. We had English first, that was up the stairs and down the corridor so I just kept walking trying to start a conversation every now and then.

"So... where you from?" I asked

"Um... just.. 3 hours away." She whispered, putting her head down so that her bangs covered her face. She was obviously a very shy girl.

"Ah..." I said with a confident smile. "Why did you move?"

"Just personal family problems."

Shoot. "Oh, I'm sorry." I apolgised, feeling bad

"Naw, it's okay."

"We have English first!" I said changing the subject. This was my favourite lesson simply because I loved annoying the teacher. She was an easy person to fool.

She made a face. "I hate English."

"Well, you'll love it." I said grinning

"Nothing will change my opinions about it."

"Just you wait." I winked, opening the door of the English class. Miss Fox turned over to see us, her glasses sliding down her face.

"Why are you late?" She ordered. Sophie was behind me, I felt her presence on my back. She was so cute.

"Miss!" I said laughing putting my hands up. "Gotta help the new kid now, haven't I?"

Miss Fox looked at Sophie and then her hard expression softened. "Well welcome honey. I see that Jay's your guide.  Your going to hate that." She said

I made a face, my back turned to her as I made my way to my seat. Everyone started laughing.

"What's funny?" Miss Fox demanded.

"Oh nothing Miss." I said giving her a modest smile and taking a seat. I patted the spare seat next to me for Sophie.

She took the seat, putting her bangs behind her ear. Miss Fox gave her a new text book which she opened and started writing in. I looked at her precise and neat handwriting.

"What?" Sophie asked looking down at it. "I knew it was messy."

She sighed.

"What?" I said. "No! It's great."

"Really?"

"Really."

She might as well be my new best friend.