Arabella

I made it to the forest. Eventually. I feel myself die with every step. When a strand brushes against my skin, it takes a small part of my life force with it. Soon, there will be nothing left but the empty shell of my body. I will welcome death long before that.

Not yet, though. My senses are muted, but I'll still use every breath I have to survive for as long as I can.

The trees are thick here, near the spring. I don't know if this is the spot where me and Flick shared so many afternoons, but it's close enough. I find a tree next to the creek and sit with my back against it. At my back and under my butt, the Shadows vibrate a little, like I sat on an angry bug. They can only get so close to things like the tree and the floor, so by sitting down I've come right to the edge of the Shadows. You get used to the ones that struggle under your feet when you walk through their dark world, but sitting on them is weird. I'm going to die here soon, so they'll just have to deal.

At first, when I walked through the forest in my shroud of Shadow, I burned with rage. I was angry that Tanvik did this to me, angry that everyone else let him, angry that I was going to die. A tear leaks from my eye, just as a strand brushes my cheek and wipes it away like a silky finger. I could almost take comfort in that—the Shadows aren't evil. It makes no difference to them if I live or die, but they don't want to kill me. The strands only started to appear when I made it outside, as if even they couldn't stand being inside the Academy.

The flapping of leathery wings a few metres away is enough to remind me that there's other things in here that would love to have my blood dripping from their beaky jaws.

Once, I raged. Now, I am simply tired.

I could end it all right now. One look would tell that thing I'm ready and it's welcome to my flesh.

I'm not hopeless yet, though.