Hestia

Even now, in the early evening, my leg still hurts like a bitch. I'm gonna have a nice fat bruise there tomorrow. But that pain is nothing compared to the terror I felt when I went into the Shadows, only to see no strands around me. I know I'm a weak sorcerer, but there's usually at least one way out. I'm still shaken. I didn't even eat much at dinner.

Ardyan's stressed out, too. He keeps jiggling his leg, making ripples in the creek he's got his feet in. I press my hand down on his leg. It's annoying.

He grins at me sheepishly. "Sorry."

"Something's bothering you," I say, resting my head on his shoulder. He puts his arm around me, and I lean in to his warmth. The wind bites, now—winter's on its way.

"I've just been thinking."

"Must be painful."

Ardyan doesn't reply, just stares at the darkening sky. We'll have to go back soon.

"Hestia, were you paying attention in history earlier?"

I snort. "Of course." I love history. It's the only thing I'm not horrible at, and Professor Martel is probably the only teacher who doesn't think I'm a waste of time.

"It's just...that assassin..."

"Morwenna Crawanna?"

"Yeah. She killed nineteen people, but Martel never said who she killed, did he?"

"They would've been enemies of the King, or of Oskany." Isn't that obvious? "I bet their names are top secret or something."

"But why?" Ardyan demands, clenching his fists. I don't like that; there's a group of third-years climbing a tree a little way off. Ardyan's going to draw too much attention. "If they're dead, then why does it matter who they were?"

"How should I know? And will you keep it down?"

He ignores me. At least, that's what it sounds like. "And anyway, what about the Shadow Guard? The King's constantly surrounded by invisible people. Who would be able to get past them and pose a threat?"

"I don't know, maybe a Temporal or something?" When I lived in the workhouse, back in the shitty part of Wintermouth, Timekeepers were my biggest fear. I thought they would hide in the food hall and one of them would freeze time long enough to steal my bread.

Ardyan shakes his head. "Timekeepers are picked up when they're kids, like us, but they're even rarer anyway. So are Seers. I don't think you'll never find an Ethereal-class sorcerer who doesn't work for the King. Even those Seculars start training as soon as their powers show." Ardyan says Seculars with a tiny curl of his lip, like having flames or water or rock at your fingertips isn't amazing by itself. "I just...I just want to know what we're for. Why the King needs us."

My stomach sinks. Ardyan can't ask these questions—he'll only draw Tanvik's attention, and that would be bad for both of us. "Ardyan, promise me you'll keep your head down. Remember what happened to Arabella?"

Ardyan nods slowly. "Yeah. I do." Who could forget?"

I sigh deeply, the cool air tingling on my nose. "I don't want anything like that to happen to you."

He takes my chin in his hand and tilts my face up for a kiss that makes the world spin. "It won't," he whispers against my lips. "I promise."