Hestia

We've been searching this bloody library for hours, and still, nobody has come.

I don't even think there's anything here that the Flames of Astia could have used, but at least Davorin doesn't seem to agree. He's way off in the back of the archive, a trail of discarded books behind him.

Ardyan and I got tired ages ago, though. Neither of us has slept tonight, and my eyes are so dry I have to keep blinking so they don't itch. I'm not sleepy, though, not when I'm in a room with Davorin.

I lean my head on Ardyan's shoulder, shifting in his lap a little. If the hearth was lit and we weren't a mile underground with a revenge-crazed caveman, this would be quite cosy. This armchair we share is some of the finest leather I ever saw.

Ardyan sighs and combs a hand through my curls. He has a book balanced on the arm of the chair, but he hasn't turned a page in ages.

I glance at the tunnel Davorin disappeared into. I can't hear him moving about—did he find something? I rub my thumb over the back of Ardyan's hand in tight, anxious circles. I don't know how much longer we'll be able to distract him for.

Martel must know I'm missing. He went to look for Ardyan, but Ardyan is right here. What if I was wrong, and he didn't know those keys were in his office? They were hidden, after all, though not very well. And then Flick probably had no idea what I was on about when I said about the archive. Davorin hasn't realised we're trying to distract him, but he will if he sees the keys I left outside all the doors when we eventually leave.

This was a horrible idea.

Ardyan seems to have noticed my fear, because he closes the heavy book with a clunk. "Hestia," he whispers, his voice no more than a breath against my neck. "Do you have any idea how we're going to get out of this?"

He's been thinking the same thing I have, then. "Martel will come," I tell him firmly. "Did you see him? He said he was going to look for you."

Ardyan's eyes remain fixed on our twined hands. "No," he says at last. "I didn't see him."

I know a lie when I'm told one, but I don't want to argue about it now. I don't know why Ardyan would lie to me, but to be honest, I don't want to. Not right now. Martel said I was in danger, so he probably went straight to Tanvik. That'll be it. They're probably looking for us right now.

"You pinned a lot on one person coming to save you," Ardyan says quietly, but I don't miss the tense frustration in his voice.

"Two," I correct him. "I told Flick where I was going, too."

He leans back to look me full in the face. "You thought Flick would help you? After what you did to Arabella?"

"That was to protect you!" It's all I can do not to shout. Maybe then it would get through his thick skull—everything I've done, I've done for him. Why won't he see that? "How was I supposed to know he'd banish her?"

"You could have at least thought about it! Just like you could've thought about this plan of yours before getting us stuck down here with him!" he hisses, jerking his head in Davorin's general direction. His words come from between gritted teeth and his eyes are bloodshot. He looks half mad.

"You had plenty of time to think about it before coming down here! And we're not stuck, we just—"

"Yes you are."

Davorin's voice from behind makes us both jump. I twist around to face him. He leans on the back of the chair, a lazy grin on his face and a dagger in his hand.

We both leap to our feet, but I can't focus on anything but that dagger. That's a Shadow's dagger, and he appeared out of nowhere, but the hands...Ardyan said so himself, Davorin can't—

"You meant to trap me, but a man like me can be held by no cage, whether the bars are locks or Shadow." Davorin stalks forward, his eyes flitting between us both.

Ardyan fumbles for his own dagger, but it will be about as sharp as my iron poker. "You said you couldn't use the Shadows!" he cries as he holds the blade out in front of him with shaking hands. In his terror he's forgotten everything he knows about fighting, I can see it in his eyes.

"I lied," Davorin shrugs. "Do you think I got this far by being honest?" He spits the word out like it tastes bad. "It's a shame, really. I do like your idea of getting some shit on Tanvik." His gaze flickers to me. "Shame I don't like the street rat as much. I could have taken you with me, back to Astia, but not her. How can I trust someone who sells out her own friends?" I flush, but then his attention is back on Ardyan.

Davorin takes another step towards him. I back away towards the door. The keys are heavy in my skirt pocket. I could get out, I could...

Then, Davorin reaches out, grabs a strand, and disappears.

That's the final straw—I bolt for the door, Ardyan can follow if he wants, but I'm not staying here.

I ram the key into the lock, but the lock is old and stiff and my hands tremble and all I can hear is my own blood roaring in my ears—until I hear the Shadows rip behind me.

Davorin grabs my hair and jerks my head back.

I drop the keys.

Ardyan yells.

Something sharp and cold digs into my throat.

There is a big spider on the ceiling.

Then my blouse is hot and wet and my mouth tastes like iron and oh gods it STINGS.

~~~~~

A/N: Sorry.

The last chapter was really short so I'm uploading two today. The previous one should have been from Arabella's PoV and it shows up on My Works but not my actual profile, so I hope it's available to you. If not, please tell me. :/