38: Invitations to Trouble

Start from the beginning

I rolled my eyes. “It was just a highschool basketball game. Nothing to get excited about that’s for sure.”

He nudged me with his shoulder. “Don’t downplay it; did you win?”

I nodded with a little smile. “Well, yeah-“

“Then you should be proud of yourself,” he exclaimed, snaking his arm around my shoulders and pulling up against him. “You won a varsity game with the pressure of a boy you like watching. That’s no small feat young one.”

Even though I couldn’t help but smile as I was smooshed against his firm warm body I felt the need to say, “Hey now, who said anything about liking him?”

But Preston wasn’t fooled by my question. Instead he reached over, pulling my hair loose from its ponytail as he always did. “You didn’t need to. I saw the way the pair of you were eyeing each other.”

I blushed a little, reaching up to shove my red hair back into its messy ponytail. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Innocent little Kara-“

“He was the one eyeing me,” I cut off his teasing with a smooth smile as I pulled out from under his arm. “I was merely admiring the view I was presented with.” As he started to complain, reaching out for me once more, I winked and jumped a step away from him.

Realizing I’d just left him alone on the floor he hoisted himself back up to his feet. “I see you’re in a better mood then,” he commented, his eyes twinkling mischievously.

Preston stepped towards me, stretching his arms outwards innocently as he yawned. I realized just on time what he was about to do and ducked under his arm, narrowly avoiding the arm he’d meant to place on my shoulder. “No, I’m not going back out there,” I shot at him. The pleading expression on his face had given him away.

After a minute of staring determinedly at me he gave in with a groan. “Look, I’m sorry about the whole Maver thing. I really didn’t think he was going to do it.”

“Yeah, right,” I scoffed, crossing my arms. I hadn’t thought he would either.

“It was all Logan’s idea-“

“That just makes it worse,” I pointed out with a huff. “What could have ever made you think Logan picking a dare for me would be a good thing?!”

He gave a nervous smile, his eyelashes batting adorably. “I made a mistake, forgive me Kara?”

“No,” I responded quickly, looking away. I hadn’t had anyone use puppy dog eyes on me in a long long time. Surely I wouldn’t break now.

But Preston didn’t give up. He smirked for a quick second before covering it with a tiny frown and approaching me. “Please?” he asked, his tone soft as he closed the distance between us.