Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

Jessica raised her eyebrow and forced my eyes to meet hers, she spoke impatiently to me as if I were a little child admitting to something I had done out of turn. "Well?" 

I bit my lip, not exactly sure what it was that made me answer the way I did. "Um... yeah, we're dating ... he's my boyfriend." It sounded weird on my tongue. I didn't even dare look over to see his reaction, I was already red enough. 

Jessica seemed fairly disappointed, but covered her frown almost as soon as she had made the face. "Oh...well...what about the brown haired one?" 

"Edward?" I asked. 

"Yeah." 

I gave a little laugh; Jessica honestly thought she had a chance with Edward. It was fairly amusing. "Good luck with that." 

Jessica narrowed her eyes, looking very offended. "What do you mean?" 

I grinned deviously, not able to resist the opportunity to get a jab in at the one person who constantly poked fun at me when given the chance. "Because he's gay." I gave a believable scoff. "Didn't you know that?" 

I grinned at myself even more because just as the words reached their ears, I hear the Cullens laugh and Edward give a quiet swear. 

Jessica was really offended then, she turned her back on me as if to let me go. "Oh..alright...that makes since...it is always the good looking ones.." Jessica shot me a pathetic disappointed smile and sulked off back to where she was sitting. 

I practically skipped over to the family, grinning. I was very proud of my improv. I took the seat next to Edward, blowing him a teasing kiss. "How'd you like them apples, buddy?" 

"Hilarious, Mary." Edward sulked, fingering the apple on his blue lunch tray. "When are you going to stop acting like a two year old." 

"When I turn three." I answered smartly. 

Jasper and Emmett were still chuckling a little and Rosalie and Alice were still smiling with humor and admiration. Rosalie was the first to speak up, "I wasn't aware that you had come out of the closet, Eddie. I mean, I had always seen this coming." 

Edward glared at her, his yellow eyes lethal. 

Jasper laughed quietly, joining in on the fun that I had created for us. "I mean, you're my brother, so no matter which way you swing, I'll always support you." 

Edward stood up, unable to take the irritation of being at the losing end of a joke any longer and threw away his uneaten food, stalking off to the next class.  

It was Emmett that turned to speak to me all of a sudden, grinning silkily. "So, Mary, I wasn't aware that I had ever asked you to be my girlfriend."  

Everyone was laughing again, this time at me. I had turned about a bazillion shades of red that I had never known existed and I stood up and followed right behind Edward in embarrassment to the Biology classroom. 

When it came time for the birthday party of mine that Alice had so gratefully planned, I was thankful that she had kept it small and to my liking. It was only the family and Angela that she invited to our home. Esme had baked my favorite flavor of cake, red velvet, and Edward had been in charge of selecting all the music. I never imagined a better way to spend my nineteenth birthday that with these people, but it also made me grieve for my mother and the life that I had lost only months ago. 

Halloween was great too, I had an excellent joke when I dressed up as one of those cliché vampires. I had gone all out with Emmett's aid in my less that tasteful selection of fangs that had dripped fake blood and a black cape. Edward found it hilarious, taking an albums worth of pictures and even joined in, perhaps I had started a new hallows tradition with my quirky since of humor. 

By the time Christmas break had worn around, I was honestly surprised that I had survived for this long in that place. My grades were excellent thanks to the Cullens guidance and tutoring and the other plus was that I had Edward and Jasper for gym partners. Things were not going nearly as bad as I had remembered them being for me. 

I, too, was actually excited that I was spending my first Christmas holiday with my new family. It was all going so great for me. I had convinced Edward to only play Christmas tunes on his piano and for Esme to allow me to work my fun at decorating the house for this festive season. 

I had already chosen presents for all of the Cullens, and they were thoughtful too. For Alice I had picked out a designer dress that she had dropped endless hints about me getting her, for Rosalie I had gotten her some more of her favorite perfume, Jasper was getting a new journal as he had told me he had already filled his last one up with his newest poems that he was going to allow me a sneak peak to, Esme was getting some new photo frames to hang Rosalie's hand painted works like she loved to do, Carlisle had gotten a new medical bag to carry all of those items in, Edward was getting concert passes to a show of his choice, and for Emmett...well I hadn't exactly found anything for him yet. 

All in all, this season had put me in an exceptionally elated mood, something for which was a gift to everyone. Edward was especially glad to get a break for my constant sarcasm and teases. 

Today it was just me here with Jasper, I had talked him into helping me get all of their old Christmas ornaments out from the attic and aiding me in putting the on the tree that Emmett had brought home the night before. I poked my head around the corner of the tree to get his attention, I was too short to place this one. "Hey Jasper," I said dangling a shimmery green one in front of my face, a sheepish smile played on my lips, "Can you give me a lift." 

Jasper chuckled, coming around to get a grip on my feet. "Sure can do, kiddo. Is this the last one?" Jasper held me up effortlessly. 

"Yep." I said as I had bit my lip in focus, standing on the edge of my toes to reach the branch I had desired for it to go on. "Just..a...little..higher.." Just like that, in an instant I had lost my footing and crashed to the floor, falling on top of the ornament that was in my hands. 

"Mary, are you alright?" Jasper was by my side in a second, helping me get onto my back. It was then that the wave of smell overcame him. I had seen his eyes growing black in thirst, and just that easily, he lost control.