Chapter 13 ~ Ethan's Trap

"So, to sum up, we're looking for a psychopath from Victorian England who can drive a car and seems perfectly at home in the 21st century." Lester said as if this was a natural thing.

Lester sat behind his desk, Emily, who had recently been kidnapped by Ethan, dragged to a graveyard, buried alive, only to be recued by Matt. Becker stood by the door, Anna a few feet from him leaning against the glass wall of Lester's office.

"Emily, you said he was from 1902." Becker said, "If so, perhaps he's got a police record. I could do some digging around."

"OK, Becker and Anna, you track down this Ethan character," Lester told them.

Just in that moment, Matt walked through the door.

"I'm not going back without Ethan." Emily demanded.

"Ethan's not going anywhere. When we find him, he's going straight to prison. I suggest you re-join your friends while you've still got the chance."

"It's her decision." Anna said, "She should stay if she wants."

"She's right, of course, but if you do, I shall have to inform Philip and the minister." Lester told her.

"What will that mean for me?" Emily asked him.

"It remains to be seen but I shan't be able to protect you any longer."

"She should stay." Matt said, "She's our only real link to Ethan."

"You'd better not let her out of your sight, then."

~

The intense and tempting daydream encased her mind as she stared at her paper on the desk. She was transported back to the Cretaceous, alone once again in her mind. The dense forest claimed most of her vision as she sprinted through the trees, running from something. The familiar shriek of a raptor came from behind her. She stopped and turned. Wanting to get a better look at the creature she had always admired above all others. But as she stopped it carried on running at her, taking a jump and opening its jaws.

"Anna?"

She snapped back to reality, spinning on her stool. There were a few people in the ARC at that time. It was late afternoon and many people had gone home.

"Yep," she answered before she realised who it was.

"You ok?" Becker asked her.

"Oh yeah, I'm fine, what is it?" She asked him.

He walked so he was standing beside her, she spun back to face the worktop. They were in the main room, Jess was busy on her computer, Lester in his office, Connor with Phillip and Abby was sat across the room on a computer.

"There was an Ethan Dobrowski." He explained, "He was a notorious anarchist, thought to be from Russia originally, though nobody seems very sure. He murdered at least half a dozen people before disappearing without trace in 1902. His MO was to take over a property near his victim, watch them for days, then move in and assassinate his target."

"That's how he knew Emily was alone, he was watching Matt's flat," Anna figured.

Anna got up, running to Jess at her computer, "Jess, run a security check of all of Matt's neighbours. We need to know if Ethan was watching Matt's flat before he took Emily. He might still be nearby."

~

In no more than an hour, Becker and a team of soldiers had gone off to investigate a flat nearby Matt's.

Anna had been instructed by Lester to do a full report of Ethan Dobrowski. She had to find out as much as she could about him. After been sat in hr lab for nearly four hours doing this report she finally finished. She felt as if she'd just had to write an essay for University.