Chapter 11 ~ The Worm {Part Two}

The hill they walked on was steep, making the dig their heels into the grass to stop themselves from falling. Anna walked a little in front of Connor, looking further down the hill to see a farm at the bottom.

"Wait up!" Connor called, trying to catch up with Anna. He looked deep in thought when he caught up before asking her a rather strange question, "So? How's Becker?"

Anna stopped in her tracks, glaring at him, before continuing to walk, "How should I know that, Connor?"

"Well I thought you might have been in touch, you see. Considering you saved him and all,"

"Connor, Becker isn't the sort of person to be completely pleased about someone coming round to his house with a hamper full of jams and a cheery 'Get Well Soon' card, is he?"

Connor considered this for a moment, "Well......no not really but if I was you then....."

"What do you mean 'if it was me'?" Anna asked, slightly confused.

"Well I thought you and him were......you know...close?" he backed down.

"No Connor, just leave it," She said, trying to hide he embarrassment. Anna thought about it for a moment, maybe she should go and see him, it had been a week since the accident with the poison, and Becker nearly dying. But she decided against it, it wasn't really professional, maybe she'd just call him later.

When Anna and Connor reached the bottom of the hill, there was a rusty post with metal sigh reading 'NO TRESPASSING' in red letters. Connor, who was too busy waving his phone around trying to get a signal, did not see, however Anna glanced cautiously at the sign, wondering why the farm was so dull and secretive. Yet the idea of trespassing on the farm excited her a little, even if she did not let it show.

The whole place was lined with barbwire, adding to the mysteriousness of it all. When the reached the gate, it creaked slightly as it opened, making Connor jump a little. It was too quiet, uncomfortably quiet, making them more suspicious. The odd chicken could be heard and a few mice, running round the base of the small barns and sheds. The windows were cracked and dirty and the paint was either peeling or rotting away from the outer stone walls.

Anna peered round an archway where a door should have been, it lead to an empty shed and she ran her finger along a metal carving above the arch. Connor looked around another door, only to jump back a little when a bird flew out of the darkness and straight past his face. He sighed a little shakily. Anna carried on, ignoring him.

She looked through another window to find what looked like a charm for keeping away evil spirits away, only to be startled by Connor breaking the silence between them, "This place is well creepy,"

"All we need now is a weird kid, sat on a porch, playing a banjo." he suggested.

Anna couldn't help but laugh at his stupid comment, only Connor would make up a scenario like that. They carried on looking into smashed windows, Connor attempting to make a banjo noise.

Anna stopped in her tracks looking down at the floor. There was a puddle of a clear liquid on the dirt, yet this was not water. She picked up a stick from the side of the pool, crouched down and dipped it in the puddle. When she pulled it out, the liquid was sticky and slowly dripped from the stick.

"What is it?" Connor asked. Anna knew it was a mucus, yet it was unlike anything she'd seen on a farm before. She stood again and raised her EMD, knowing that something wasn't right.

They walked some more until they walked past a shed door which was swinging on its hinges. There was no wind, but the turned and carried on walking, As they continued through the farm, Anna spoke at last, "I don't know any farm animal that produces a mucus like that,"