Chapter 8 ~ Bloodbath Detention

It seemed dead, everything seemed paralysed, without life whatsoever. The screens in the security room flashed from corridor to class room, but still no sound occurred. Until of course, a camera switched and what seemed to be a dismal room was flooded with the light of the anomaly.
~
"Ah, I love the smell of wasted potential first thing in a morning," He strode through the door, seeming rather cheery. He looked at the three students in the almost vacant classroom. One sat on the edge of a desk, swinging her legs, headphones exceptionally loud in her ears.

"Hey you can't do that!" she spat, in her high-pitched tone, as the teacher unplugged the earphones and confiscated them.

"As for you two!" He turned to the two boys sat discussing something, "you'll both be coming back here every week until all traces of that smell that you concocted in the science lab has been eradicated." He paused, "Now, ask yourself, was it really worth it?"

The blonde boy considered this for a moment, every so often glancing at his friend, "Definitely," he decided.

The teacher, who now stood at the front of the classroom, merely rolled his eyes, "And you Beth, one day you'll find that merely being pretty doesn't get you quite as far in life as you think."

The girl sighed as she jumped off the edge of the desk and took her seat, "I'm going on X-Factor and then I'll be famous." She pouted her lips a little, " I don't need exams for that."

"A succinct, if depressing, mission statement," he replied, "I'll be back in one minute. If anyone talks or moves while I'm away....I'll know." He strode to the door, still seeming rather cheerful, considering his Saturday morning was taken up by three unambitious students.

As he walked he whistled, the tune echoing throughout the desolate hallways. It was much lighter in the main part of the school than it was in his small classroom. He turned a final corner and reached the vending machines. He placed a coin through the small gap in the metal machine, but the light inside flickered.

"Oh!" he complained as the appliance seemed to be breaking down. The teacher shuffled to one side to look between the two machines. Down the rift, he could see the plug sockets. He placed his arm between the two vending machines, reaching for the sockets. Face now pressed against the metal, he reached with all his might to try and fix the undone plug. When the tip of his fingers touched the plastic his pushed and repaired the damage. The light to the vending machine appeared again.

When he had removed his arm and pressed the numbers on the keypad he came across his second obstacle. The bar of chocolate had become stuck on its way down, so he attempted to pull it out with his hand.

Then it all happened at once, the scream, the teeth or claws that grasped his hand, the pain the shot up his arm. Jumping back and toppling on his back he looked at the machine as the roar of an animal emanated from it. He stood once again and examined his bleeding hand. Deciding against staying on the spot he attempted to run from the machine as the creature smashed the glass and leapt out. He couldn't move swiftly, he felt weak All that was heard was the scream of the teacher as the creatures claws hacked at his body, and its feast began.
~
"Leaving so soon?" Matt said half under his covers on the sofa, chest bare looking across the room at Emily. She was dressed in Matt's clothes which fit her surprisingly well. He had allowed her to stay with him and given up his room so she could have a comfortable night, "I guess we still have some work to do on this whole trust issue,"

"I have to find Ethan," Emily seemed rather annoyed that Matt had discovered her trying to sneak out.

Matt sat up a little more, "I'm going to get out of bed now, so you might want to avert your eyes." Emily turned around, smirking a little, until Matt was dressed, "Were you going to walk around this city till you bumped into this Ethan character? Here." He threw her a key, "There's eight million people out there. Good luck."