Chapter 13 ~ necklace

Carlisle went about cleaning the blood from Kanna's grey hair and stitching her head up. Her head hadn't been damaged too hard but she would probably feel woozy soon after awakening. She had a large bruise on her arm but that was something her body could deal with by itself.
"You're quite extraordinary Miss Kanna" he mumbled as he checked the rest of her head. "Putting up with Caius then surviving this." Once he was confident she would be safe to sleep he gave her a small dose of sleeping gas.
"How is she?" Caius asked, suddenly appearing at the doorway.
"She'll be doing fine, she just needs some bed rest" Carlisle explained. "So I presume there is an interesting story of how you two met?" He chuckled but Caius did not smile.
"Now is not the time"
"Of course" Carlisle agreed. "Give her some painkillers every four hours if she requires them but no more then that" he wrote as he talked. "If there are any more problems give me a call" Carlisle nodded. Once he had left Caius sighed heavily and turned back to Kanna. What he had planned to be a nice night had turned into a catastrophe. He pulled a fur blanket over her shoulders and sat by the chair near the bed.
"What will I do with you?" He asked himself as he watched her sleep in his giant bed. Suddenly she mumbled in her sleep and Caius listened hard.
"Caius" she mumbled and he smirked.
'Already dreaming about me are we?" He smirked but scowled when she whimpered loudly. He gently brushed his cold hand against her cheek, trying to sooth her but she rolled away from the cold and nestled into her cocoon of pillows and blankets. He sighed. He couldn't even sooth his own mate.
After an hour of watching her he decided to go to his study and look over some papers whilst she rested. As he rifled through draws his hand touched something soft. He looked down to see Kanna's choker staring up at him. Why had he taken it? If he was honest this whole thing was caused by him taking it. He had taken her out to dinner to try and get her mind off of it (and silence Aro). He was just glad those filthy humans got what they deserved. Trying to touch his cub. His cub....he faltered at the words zooming round in his brain. He liked Kanna and certainly wanted Kanna to like him but how could that ever happen now? He had taken her from her coven, stolen a treasure possession and he had left her defenceless. Maybe he would have been better off begging Athenodora to stay with him. He grasped the necklace and stormed back to his chambers. Maybe if he put it somewhere obscure then pretended to find it she would never know. He quickly went over to the chest of drawers but as he was opening them he heard shifting from the bed.
"Caius?" A small voice broke through the silence. He shut the draw and grasped the necklace. "What happened?" She asked quietly.
"A friend came and took care of you, you should be fine now" he said, hiding the necklace behind his back subtly.
"What do you have-" she squeaked as she tried to get up and Caius flashed to her side.
"Don't sit up" but as he pushed her down he revealed the necklace. Her eyes brightened and she smiled up at him.
"You found it!" She smiled happily and he nodded awkwardly. "Where was it?" She asked.
"In...the draws" he faltered, looking round at the draws.
"I wonder how it got there" she looked to where his eyesight was. He put the choker on the chest of drawers and got up from the bed.
"Kanna, before I leave, can I get you to promise something?" He asked unusually softly.
"Okay" she waited.
"Even though you have your choker...can you promise me that you'll still wear your volturi crest?"
There was a thick pause in the room whilst Kanna thought.
"Can't I wear both-"
"No" he snapped but bit his tongue and tried to dampen his own temper. "No..I'm sorry" he re-phrased.
"Fine" she snapped and rolled onto her side away from him. His fingers lingered in the air, close to her hair. He gently smoothed her long grey hair with the back of his fingers, relishing at how soft it was and the warmth radiating off of her body.
"Caius?" She asked quietly. "Do you have somewhere you need to be?" She asked. His stroking stopped and he pulled back slowly, disheartened slightly. "Only if you don't, would you stay here? Just until I'm asleep?" She asked politely. Caius said nothing but sat in the leather seat by the desk and drew out his favourite book which by now had become a bit dog-eared.
"What are you reading?" She asked quietly from the bed without looking at him.
"Romeo and Juliet"
"What is it about?"
"A pair of starcrossed lovers from different households that cannot be together. it sounds so cheesy when I say it but it is a good Shakespearean piece. You should read it" he recommended.
'Would you read some to me?" She asked quietly.
"No" he replied blunty. "You're not a child"
"I thought I was your cub" if Caius could blush by now he would be a bright bright red. He huffed and returned to his book and read silently, glancing up at Kanna every now and then. Once her breath was shallow and calm Caius got up and checked on her. He pushed a lock of grey hair out of her face.
'Sleep while you can Kanna, soon you will have no use for it' he thought, a wide smirk forming before he left her alone to sleep...