Chapter 7 ~ truth behind decision

The knock that awoke Kanna was not one which she recognised. She sat up quickly, some of her hair sticking to the side of her face. She got up padded over to the door and opened it tiredly.
"Hi, I'm Heidi" the beautiful woman on the other side of the door stuck a gloved hand out. She was undeniably beautiful with luscious full hair and lips making Kanna feel inferior. "I was wondering if you were in the mood for dinner?" She asked smiling widely.
"Uh no thank you" Kanna shook her head, still full from her heavy lunch meal.
"Sure? Okay. I can't believe you're aloud in master Caius's personal chambers, one of the most luxurious rooms here" she gloated looking around.
"Yes it's very beautiful" Kanna replied awkwardly to this sinfully beautiful woman. "Come in" kanna stepped back as Heidi smiled awkwardly at her "So do you work here?" Kanna asked as Heidi steeped in.
"Yeah, I'm what you might call the fisherman" she laughed but Kanna looked at her cluelessly.
"What type of fish do you catch?" She asked cluelessly. At first Heidi blinked at her then laughed, hugging Kanna.
"Aw, you're so adorable!" She giggled as she looked around the room. "Huh! Look at this bed!" She exclaimed looking at the large bed Kanna had been sleeping peacefully in not ten minutes ago. "So what's it like, sharing a room with master Caius?" She asked, raising an eyebrow suggestively.
"Nothing like you obviously think it's like" she said as she sat on the leather chair near the bed.
"Ah I was hoping for some juicy details" she joked. "So how do you like volterra? And Caius of course?" Heidi asked, waiting attentively.
"It's a very pretty town" she tried to steer away from the conversation about Caius. "I don't like Caius" she said bluntly, hoping it would end the conversation. Of course it didn't, this was Heidi after all.
"Aw, I think you two'd be so cute together" Heidi giggled. "I know it's kind of a sensitive topic but do you know when...you know...you'll be turned?" Heidi asked, suddenly going quiet and serious. Kanna had completely forgotten about that and now being reminded her anxiety levels and her heart racing. Heidi tensed noticeably.
"Well I should probably be off, got some stuff to do. It was lovely meeting you, I'm sure I'll see you around" Heidi rushed quickly and Kanna swore she saw hunger in Heidi's now blackish eyes.
"Oh Master Caius I was just leaving" Heidi tiptoed around the youngest looking volturi leader and scampered. Kanna rose from her seat and turned to face Caius.
"I take it from your scent all over my bed that you have settled in?" Caius asked, a mean smile playing at his lips.
'Don't snap' Kanna thought to herself. 'That's just what he wants'
"Yes thank you" she said politely but he didn't waver.
"You met our newest addition to the volturi?" He asked, looking to where Heidi had left.
"Yes, she seems very nice" Kanna answered.
"Really? It smells to me like she made you very uncomfortable, all that adrenaline running through your veins" he closed the distance between himself and Kanna.
"You can smell that?" She asked impressed. Caius just chuckled to himself.
"Ignorant" he murmured to himself and Kanna's cheeks flushed.
"I'm so sorry for not being a brain box" she murmured under her breathe as Caius followed her scent to his desk, making sure she had not messed with anything. He turned his head a fraction towards her when he heard her but did not comment.
"I just stopped to make sure I didn't have to chain you up to stop thou escaping" he grinned maliciously.
"Nothing to worry about" Kanna bit her tongue to stop her spewing out Icelandic profanities. "By the way" she remembered suddenly as he walked towards the door. He stopped, waiting for her to speak. "Do you have any books I could read?" She asked as politely as she could.
"None simple enough for you to understand" he tormented and slammed the doors shut behind himself. Kanna wanted to scream at him but instead she grabbed her snow boots and flung them at the door where he had gone out. They made such as a loud thud she was afraid he was going to come back in so she held her breath. But he did not.
Caius returned to the throne room and was greater by his brothers, well Aro anyway.
"Ah brother, how was she?" Asked Aro as he silently asked for his hand.
"Still alive" he sniggered to himself as Aro read his thoughts. Caius settled himself back into his throne as Aro spoke.
"Do you not think that treating her better would result in her being happier brother?" Asked Aro.
"Treating her better?! I put a bloody bed in my room!" Defended Caius but they both knew Aro was talking about something else.
"Not treating her like an imbecile" Aro pointed out bluntly.
"She is your mate Caius" Marcus rasped and Caius looked to him, trying to prepress a sneer. "I sensed it the first time we arrived at her coven"
"Why didn't you speak of this before?" Snapped Caius.
"I wanted to see if you felt the connection as well, and the obviously did" Marcus pointed out.
"Please, I only chose her because I wanted to see that fool of a father of her's suffer" he sneered, covering up the truth. He had felt a strange pull to Kanna when he was around her. He liked teasing, it was just in his nature, but if anyone else dared to upset her he would pull their heads off. He felt like he wanted to keep her glued to his hip 24/7 but knew if he spent time with her he would appear weak. Above all he did not want to be betrayed again like he was with Athenodora.
"You fear betrayal" Aro pointed out softly but Caius had had enough. In a flash he rose to his feet and was out of the door.
His feet lead him up a flight of stairs to the master's private relaxation room where their instruments were kept. He locked the door once he was in and slowly walked through their collection of beautiful musical instruments. He knew how to play many instruments, some of his favourite being the piano and the harp but above all his favourite was the violin. He picked up his beautiful carved violin and made sure it was tuned before playing. After years of practise he didn't even need sheet music, he remembered each and every song he had learnt off by heart. He slowed to a stop and sighed.
Were he and Kanna really mate? Destined to be? But she was so weak, so ignorant, so...easy to claim as his own. He had to admit, that if he had ever found a mate he wanted one that would obey him, one that would worship him. Athenodora had been a satisfying lover to pass the time but she was never loving back to him often eying up other males when his back was turned. If he knew one thing it was that Kanna word NEVER have the nerve to do any of that. His brothers had said that since the leaving of Athenodora he had formed a hard, cruel exterior around himself to keep others away. True he was somewhat mean by nature but Caius just called it strict. He had opened up Athenodora, told her his worries but she had hardly listened. He did not want to turn around a corner to see Kanna kissing another man.
He felt anger boil in his blood as the memories of her unfaithfulness came rushing back, never had he felt so foolish and embarrassed! Without thinking he threw the violins against the wall and it shattered. He sighed and walked calmly over to it and examined the pieces. Just another thing he was going to have to clean up after.