Chapter 5 ~ Short lunch

"Uh, look, it will only be a few inches off the bottom, it's not like they're going to shave your head!" Jane exclaimed but Kanna shook her head again.
"I wouldn't appreciate it" Kanna said politely.
"Fine!" Jane threw up her hands and started the car, the many bags of clothes safely in the back. "But master Caius won't be happy" she murmured and Kanna chewed her nail. What if Caius became violent? Vampires were extremely strong compared to humans or even half-vampires so could probably snap her like a tooth pick.
"Wait!" Kanna exclaimed and Jane turned her head, trying to suppress a smile of triumph. "Just a few centimetres?" She confirmed and Jane nodded.
"I promise" she nodded and Kanna nodded, her eyes closed.

Jane waited in the car whilst Kanna has her long grey hair washed, trimmed and blow dryer at an expensive salon, all the time fascinated by the inventions of humans.
"I haven't seen you round before" the stylist said with a thick italian accent as she cut Kanna's hair carefully. "Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?" She asked.
Kanna froze.
She didn't actually know where the volturi had taken her from so she panicked. But then she remembered her father telling her that the language they spoke some times was Icelandic.
"Iceland" she replied finally.
"Ooh, nice" the stylist smiled. Kanna flinched as she switched on the hairdryer and it hummed loudly. After Kanna's hair was styled she payed with the card Jane had given her and kept repeating the 'pin' code in her head. She still couldn't believe you could buy things with pieces of plastic.

"Do you want anything for lunch?" Jane asked and Kanna nodded timidly. "What kind of food do you like?" Jane asked as she pulled out carefully. Kanna fidgeted uncomfortably before answering.
"Well, actually I've only ever eaten fish" she admitted.
"Oh, well Italy has lots of wonderful foods. There's a cute restaurant here" Jane slowed and pulled in carefully.
Kanna looked at the menu worriedly when she realised she couldn't read any of her options.
"Do you think you could order for me Jane?" She asked timidly and Jane nodded. She gave the menu a quick scan before getting a waiter and ordered in perfect Italian.
"So, are you excited?" Asked Jane once the waiter had gone. Kanna looked up from her cutlery confused.
"Excited?" She asked, trying to figure out what Jane had been referring to.
"To be married to master Caius" Jane chuckled.
"Oh..." Her eyes returned to the cutlery. "Not really. No actually. I don't really know him so..." She trailed off shrugging meekly.
"It's strange" Jane murmured as she studied Kanna's face. "Master Caius has never taken interest in a human before" she said more to herself then Kanna. Kanna opened her mouth to try and say something but no words escaped. Luckily the waiter delivered her food politely along with her ice cold water. Kanna looked down at her place curiously. Long yellow string like things were topped with red source and some grey round balls also covered in the source.
"Spaghetti and meatballs" Jane said upon seeing Kanna's curious face. Kanna cautiously poked the food before attempting to eat the long spaghetti before figuring out she had to wrap it around the fork. She had never tasted something so good. It was warm and comforting.
"So...what does food taste like to you?" Asked Kanna when an uncomfortable silence settled upon them.
"Dust" Jane replied shortly and Kanna nodded. "By the way I just thought I should inform you that someone else will be escorting you the next time you come out, I only did this time because they were not working today.
"Oh" Kanna wasn't sure if Jane was just informing her or being rude. "Well thank you anyway" she said politely. "May I ask who this other woman is?" She asked as she finished her meal.
"Her name is Heidi"
"Heidi" Kanna repeated the name, as though she was trying to memorise it.
"Are you done?" Asked Jane, eager to return to vampire company rather than human.
"Yes thank you" Kanna nodded. Jane put a few notes of the table and left with Kanna, eager to return to the volturi though Kanna was not so enthusiastic.....