Chapter 12: The Trial Run

"What?" Said Braden in surprise. They had already completed the group test... hadn't they? Why did all this mess have to be - of all things - confusing. Braden didn't know. All he could force himself to say was what. "I'll enlighten you," Tim started. "Please do!" Thought Braden. "You see, when you started the group test, and I don't lie, this will get confusing, you were under three layers of simulation. The one you started in was the challenge, with the labyrinth, and the mothership." Said Tim. So far, Braden could follow. "When you completed that level, you ascended to the second level, which you believed was real. That was where I sent you up to the first level of simulation, by shooting you. The first level was where you defeated RuPERT, but that was a trial run to make sure you could truly defeat the true RuPERT." Said Tim.
Braden was shocked. All their work... In vain? Well, not really. Now they know they can defeat RuPERT. The only words Braden could find were, "Oh." He was utterly shocked. That was the truth. He was in utter shock. Braden didn't know what to make of it. Of any of this. Of everything.
"If you're ready, when the others wake up, you can go fight him. For real this time." Said Tim. Braden nodded. "Ok," Braden started. "Just no more lies."

Not long after, the others woke up. Braden explained the confusing dilemma, and they were shocked, just as Braden. Anyway, They got to talking. About there missions. Past missions. Ones they did on their own. Then it hit Braden. They'd been going on missions together, yet didn't even knows each other's last names. He felt an impact of guilt.
Here he was. Talking about the time he'd fought an alligator in a simulator, and didn't know the full names of the people he was talking to. Braden knew that sounded stupid. But in his life, he'd learned that life is short. He'd learned not to waste time, or time will waste you. That was his motto. That was what Braden told himself every morning when he woke up.
"Don't waste life, or life will waste you."
If he died not knowing enough about his team, he'd feel awful. These guys didn't know each other extremely well, but they seemed to get along just fine.
He knew Tristan's full name, Tristan Garret Vyne. He'd skip him. So Braden decided he'd ask Kendall first. "Kendall, what's your full name?" Said Braden. Kendall looked sad. Braden could tell she was thinking the same thing he was. She looked up and smiled. "Kendall Ella Brooks." Said Kendall. Braden and Tristan smiled. Then Brent spoke up. "Brent Luther Collins." Said Brent with a smile. Braden felt a glowing of warmth inside.
Joy.
Even though his family is long gone, these people were his new family.
He felt something he hadn't technically felt in four-hundred years.
He felt loved.

Braden and Kendall talked until about three in the morning. They found they had loads in common. They both loved Marvel superheroes, and both had grown utterly tired of Disney's Frozen. Kendall loved to cook, and she loved to watch the stupid reality TV shows just for fun. Braden was happy to hear that; he wasn't the only one who liked The Bachelor. Tristan and Brent were long gone, asleep on their couches. Braden and Kendall were watching a movie in her office. She apparently had a bag of movies she'd brought with her from the past. "What's your favorite movie out of the marvel movies?" Said Braden. "Captain America, the original." Said Kendall. "Me too! He's my favorite!" Said Braden. "I know! He's was the only loyal avenger in the end! I wish I could get a hold of all of the other ones, the ones that came out after 2016. I bet there's a ton of new Marvel movies that came out in the past four-hundred years!" She replied.
Why did Braden feel this way? Did he like her? Or did he just like her? Braden didn't know. All he knew was that Kendall was awesome.
"Did you bring Captain America with you?" Said Braden. "Yeah! Want me to pop it in?" Kendall asked. "Sure!" Braden replied. Kendall got up, and went through her giant, ultimate movie bag. She pulled out a DVD labeled Captain America, and popped it into the DVD player. Braden and Kendall didn't get halfway through the movie. They fell asleep at about four.
And Braden later realized; he'd just made his greatest friend.

Kendall woke up. She hadn't a clue what time it was. She didn't even know what time they'd fallen asleep last night. Kendall got up, and looked at the clock on her desk. 11:46 AM, the clock read. Wow. They slept late.
Kendall decided to wake up Braden. "Hey!" She whispered to him. "Get up, mister!" She said a bit louder, while shaking him. Braden started to open his eyes. "What?!" He exclaimed, drawing out the a in what. "It's really late. You should get up." She said. "The time?" He asked, consecutively. "Eleven forty-six." She said. "PM?!" Braden asked jokingly. Kendall cracked up at his comment. "No, stupid. AM. Now get your butt out of bed. We have a big day today." Said Kendall. Braden knew what she meant.
Today.
Today was the day they fought the real RuPERT. Today was the day they ended the cyber tyranny.
"Ok. Fine. But only because I know you won't get off of me if I don't." Said Braden reluctantly. Kendall then realized that she was sitting on his hip. "Oops. Sorry." Said Kendall, as she got off his hip. Braden stood up and walked out of her office.
Kendall had been super excited last night, finding out all of that stuff about Braden. She'd never met a guy before who claimed that he prefers books over video games. Most guys Kendall has met were addicted to video games, almost as if it was their drugs. Kendall never was too fond of games, herself. So it was good to know Braden didn't obsess over them.
Kendall decided she'd continue Captain America; she fell asleep before he got his shield. She went over to the DVD player and rewinded the movie. But in the background she heard Tim and Braden chatting up a storm. After last night, she'd learned if anyone could talk, it was Braden. Man, that guy can never shut up!, She thought. Although, Kendall had to admit.
She thought he was kind of cute.

"Hey, Tim?" Braden asked. "Yeah?" Tim asked.
"What's your full name?" Braden asked. Tim made a look of amusement. As if he wasn't expecting him to say something like that. "Timothy Calvin VanBuran." Said Tim. Interesting last name, Braden thought. VanBuran.
"Cool name!" Said Braden. "Thanks. My grandfather was German." Said Tim. "That's where the last name came from." Tim continued.
Ever since Tim had said that, Braden could hear little tints of a German accent in Tim's voice.
Braden thought back to a movie he'd seen with this person in it with a terrible German accent. 'Eh heff to guh to bethroom, sev meh seat' That was what it sounded like when they talked in the movie. Tim was halfway there, but every time Tim talked Braden laughed in remembrance of that film. "Hey, Tim? Did you spend time in Germany? I mean, you have a bit of an accent." Said Braden. "Oh, yes. I was born in Germany. It wasn't until 2012 that I moved to America." Said Tim.
Kendall came into the room. "Hey, Tim. When do we leave today?" She asked. "Oh, whenever Tristan and Brent get up." Tim replied.
"I'm ready." Said a voice from behind Kendall. Braden realized that Tristan and Brent were standing in the doorway. "Hey, guys!" Said Braden. "Hey, bro." Tristan replied. Brent gave a smile and a nod of acknowledgment towards Braden. "Alright. Well, since you're all here, I have to talk to you first." Said Tim. "My first question," Tim started. "Are you all ready?" Said Tim. They all nodded. "Ok." Said Tim.
"Then let's get started."