Chapter 3: The Mission

Timothy led them back down the hall, and into Braden's room. Braden was taken aback by everything, still. It was all just too much. He wanted his memories back.
Badly.

Timothy set Test 61 on Braden's desk. "Gather round everyone." Said Timothy. They all huddled around the desk, quite awkwardly.
"Tristan, when will you learn to brush you teeth? You reek." Said Kendall.
Tristan made a face of offense.

"Sorry, didn't know I was inconveniencing you." Said Tristan. "It's fine. Now you know." Kendall replied. Braden couldn't help but snort under his breath. Then he realized what was happening. They had one simulator, so how would they all fit their hand onto one?

"How are we gonna fit four hands on one small screen?" Said Braden. It was a good question, but that didn't stop Timothy. Apparently he had an answer for everything. It was getting a little annoying, in Braden's opinion. Timothy pressed a button on the side of the simulator, and it extended into four sections. Now they could all fit their hands on it.

"You kids have no idea how difficult this test will be." Said Timothy. "I have designed it to prepare you for our first real missions. The one thing you must know before you enter this test: it was designed to manipulate every fear and muscle in your body. It will be extremely tough." Said Timothy.

Everyone nodded, except Kendall. She gave Timothy a look of confusion. They exchanged looks. Braden didn't know what was going on, but it seemed obvious to him that he didn't know something.
"And remember, you are a team. You must stick together at all costs." Said Timothy.

"Can we start now?" Said Brent.
"Yeah. I've been training for this for a year. We all have, even if some of us don't remember." Said Tristan, snidely glancing at Braden. "I wanna start!" Said Tristan. Braden was a bit nervous, regarding he had part of his memory locked away.

"Alright. Your mission is to find the big red lever, and pull it. You'll face many trials, but just do what you feel you should in your gut. Ready?" Said Timothy. Everyone nodded. Braden felt strange, because Kendall still looked confused.

"Tim?" Said Kendall. Timothy looked her in the eyes. "What?" He replied.
"Can I see you in the hall?" Said Kendall. Timothy considered for a moment. "Alright. But make it quick. I'm sick of stalling." Said Timothy. Kendall and Timothy took their exit to the hall. Braden watched as they left, wondering what was really going on.

Braden didn't know what to say. It was just him, Tristan, and Brent. He figured he'd ask them what was up.
"What's up with Kendall?" Said Braden. Brent looked at Braden. "She's just . . . I don't know! How would we know?!" Said Brent. Braden nodded. Then a thought occurred to him. Why hadn't he thought of this yet?!

What were they even training for? Why were they doing tests? He had it erased and he needed that information.
"What are we actually training for?" Said Braden. Brent and Tristan's heads shot up. "You don't know?!" Said Tristan. Braden felt annoyed. "I had my memory erased." Said Braden.

Tristan rolled his eyes. "I mean, did Tim not say?" Said Tristan. Braden shook his head. Tristan pondered this for a few seconds. "If he hasn't said, he has his reasons. I'll let him tell you." Said Tristan. On cue, Timothy and Kendall walked back in.

"Okay everyone. Ready?" Said Timothy. "Um, Tim? What are we actually training for?" Said Braden. Kendall gave Timothy a look. He rolled his eyes at her. "Remember what I said, Braden. Not everything at once. If I tell it all to you at once, we could risk all of your memory coming back. If that happens, you'll die. I'll tell you when you complete the test, if you don't remember by then." Said Timothy.

"Okay, you're all ready now, right? Because we don't have all day." Said Timothy. Everyone nodded. "Okay. On my count. One, two, three!" Said Timothy. They all put their hands on a screen. Immediately, Braden felt drowsy. He then felt as if he were drugged, then everything went black.