4. Sweetheart

Jared leans against the railing as I make my way to the school's door. Once I pass him he scoffs. I turn around to face him.
"What," I snap.
"I wait for you and you walk right pass me. That's no way to treat your prom date."
"My prom date? I don't think so," I say turning back around.
"Why do you hate me so much sweetheart?"
"Don't call me that."
"Why not sweetheart," he asks obviously trying to get under my skin.
"You're not worth my time," I mutter before opening the door and entering the school. New popular boy has no business talking to the introverted wallflower girl. That's how it always is and always should be.

***

"I heard you turned Jared down. What the hell is wrong with you," Evelyn screams at me as we walk down the stairs outside after school.
"He needs to stay in his social clique. And I'll stay in mine."
     "That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard of."
     "He assumed I would go to prom with him! I do not want to be assumed. I want to be asked," I say looking at Jared who is gazing at me.
     "He wants you," Evelyn says gesturing over to him.
     "He wants every girl."
     "Not that I've noticed." Before I know it, Jared is making his way over to us. Oh no. Not again. Didn't he get the hint?!
     As he walks over to Evelyn and I, he trips over the first steps of the stairs which causes me to burst out laughing. He had this whole look of being the tough bad boy and I'm so bad you wish you had me until he fell. The bad boy made the most hilarious face as he fell. It definitely wasn't tough.
     He stands back up and continues to walk towards us. He is still trying to recover from the fall. Soon he is standing in front of us. He hands me a rose and smiles. This causes all the attention to go on us. I hate attention.
      "No," I say bluntly. He didn't have to ask. I already knew. No way am I going to prom with a conceited jerk like him. He's just like the rest. He thinks he can get any girl with ease.
      "You didn't know what I was going to ask," he says chuckling harshly.
      "I hate attention. It's easier if we end the conversation now and you can go back to being popular. I don't want any of it."
      "I didn't ask for you to be popular. I just want to ask you to go to prom with me," he says looking deep into my eyes.
      "If I go to prom with you, will you leave me alone for the rest of the year?"
      "Can't promise you won't fall for me within that time."
      "Trust me, I won't."
      "Are you sure about that sweetheart?"
      "Positive," I say crossing my arms.
      "Sounds like a challenge."
      "Maybe it is maybe it isn't. I'm just ready to be done with you."
      "No girl is ever done with me."
      "Well I'm not like most girls."
      "That you aren't. There's something about you Emma. Can't put my finger on it yet, but I'll find out."
      "No you won't," I scoff.
      "Yes I will. Just wait and see."
      "I'm waiting and I'm seeing. Nothing has happened to my heart other than annoyance with you."
      "Trust me. You'll love me sweetheart."
      "No I won't. Please stop calling me 'sweetheart.' It's so irritating."
      "Only if you make me... sweetheart." God I hate him.