Chapter 10

Chapter 10

This was the worst thing that could possibly happen to me right now. Absolute worst. I needed answers, fast.

"What did the other powered want them to do?" Bree asked.

"Use some injection to deactivate their powers."

"And what did they use as a threat?"

"They captured one of the students from the school."

"I see. And did the injection work?"

"I don't know. They were able to escape."

"How?"

"They're superheroes with years of training. They handled it."

"Could you pull up the files on their detailed power report? I want to see if I could figure out how they were able to come up with something that could deactivate the kids' powers."

"Sorry, Bree. I don't give out any details about their powers. That's strictly top secret."

"Joshua. Don't you trust me?"

She was definitely up to something. I needed to get Joshua out of there and talk to him fast.

He stared at her for a little bit. Then he chuckled to himself. "Sorry. You remind me so much of my older sister sometimes."

Come on, Uncle Josh. Connect the dots.

Bree laughed. "Really? I didn't know you had a sister."

Yes, you did. You are her. And what are you up to?

"Yeah. She's a scientist. Bio-chemist, actually. She does a lot of traveling. She has a daughter, too. Foley. Nice kid."

No. This was bad. I had never "met" Joshua, as far as my mom knew.

Lillianne. Can you get down to the lab and tell Joshua to go upstairs? Without his scientist friend.

Why?

I'll explain later.

I watched as Lillianne appeared in the lab.

"Lillianne?" Joshua asked.

"Hi. Bree, right? Is it ok if I borrow my dad for a few minutes? I have to tell him something important."

"She can listen."

"Please? Can we go upstairs?"

Joshua looked surprised. "Ok. Can you give us a minute?"

Bree smiled. "Of course. Nice to see you again, Lillianne."

"You too."

They walked upstairs and I followed. I made sure Bree wasn't following us, then I turned visible.

"Foley?" Joshua said in surprise.

"I don't have a lot of time. Bree, that's not Bree. That's my mom with dyed hair and a lousy backstory."

Lillianne and Joshua both looked surprised. "Foley, what are you saying?"

"I'm saying this entire time she was supposed to be researching the other powered, but all she's done is ask questions about Lillianne, Kade and Cameron's powers. She's up to something."

"That's ridiculous."

"Why don't you trust me? Give me one day to prove it to you. Until then, don't tell her anything important."

Joshua sighed. "Fine. I have to go back to work now." He walked down the stairs.

Lillianne looked at me. "Do you really believe that's your mom?"

"Yes."

"I trust you. If you need anything, just let me know."

"One thing, real quick."

____

We were at my house in seconds. I grabbed the phone and Lillianne disappeared. I dialed my mom's number. I still didn't have a new phone from when I left it at Kevin's.

On the last ring, she picked up. "Foley, it's the middle of the night." She sounded wide awake.

"Sorry, Mom. I forgot. I'll call you back later and let you sleep."

"Ok." Then she hung up.

Lillianne appeared and looked at me. "She wasn't in the lab."

"She's not in Australia either. Where can we go to get information?"

"Why don't I go talk to Bree?" Lillianne asked. "I'll research Bree Morgan; Joshua has a database of background checks for everyone in his work. If anything doesn't match up, I'll notify Joshua."

"Ok."

"I have to go get Kade and Cameron now. But we'll do it tonight."

I nodded.