Chapter 24: What's With The Competition?

Start from the beginning

I don't know which one feels worst. Being lied on or just being told on. Either one breaks my spirits, I guess.

Lindsey grabbed roughly on to my arm and pushed me into her room.

She yelled at me, cursed at me and hit me that night.

"AND DON'T YOU EVER HURT MY CHILD AGAIN, YOU VILE CHILD!" She screamed finally, slapping me across my already bruised face. "NOW GO TO BED!"

SLAM!

"Why do you love anime? It's just a bunch of drawings put together into a cartoon. It's just for entertainment," rasped Charlotte, coming out out of the bathroom. She was glaring at me as she held piece of paper to her nose.

This made me me angry. But she's not worth my time.

I twisted the doorknob and sighed. "I love anime as it helps my imagination."

Charlotte had a confused look on her face. "Why would you need help in imagination?"

The door opened and I could feel tears welling in my eyes.

"To help me escape my actual life."

~ • ~

I quickly grabbed my phone out of my pocket and started dialling Nanami's number as I made my way to the kitchen.

This was a perfect opportunity to get them together now I'm out of the picture. I need to do this as this is the chapter Nanami confesses to Tomoe, and now that I'm ill (well, not in the way), they can try to at least bond and speak to each other.

Perfect timing, I do say so myself!

"Hey, Brooklyn!" Greeted Nanami cheerfully.

"Hi, Nanami. Are you okay?" I spluttered, trying to unlock the kitchen's shutter.

"Yeah! Are you o-...Tomoe move out the way! You have all the time in the world to speak to Brooke when we get back, but for now, I'm speaking to my best friend!" Teased Nanami innocently. I could hear she was laughing. Tomoe must have pulled a face.

I chuckled and then remembered why I was on the phone. I held the phone up to my ear and pressed my shoulder against my phone to balance it while I tried jolting the shutter's handle with both my hands.

"You and Tomoe can't come back here today!"

"Why?" Gasped Nanami.

"Erm..." Think Brooke! I quickly glanced around the house. "We have an ant infestation!"

"Ants?" Tomoe blurted in the background.

"Yes...ergh...gigantic red ants! D-Don't worry though! I've called somebody and they are fixing it right now!" I assured them. This door isn't budging, is it?

"What time should we come back at? And what should we do in the mean time?" Whimpered Nanami anxiously.

CLICK!

Finally, it opened!

"Erm, not for a bit. Probably seven at the latest," I mumbled as my anxiety flared up in what they would reply with.

"Okay. Hey, Tomoe, there's this aquarium I went to when I was in elementary and I haven't been there in ages! Can we go there? Please, please, please!" My plan is working! It's actually working!

A long, annoyed sigh is what Tomoe replied with.

"It's settled!" I chuckled. The shutter opened and when I opened it I couldn't believe what my eyes were seeing.

"Why are you so happy, Brooklyn?" Tomoe snapped quickly.

"Erm...no reason! I'll get back to you. See you later!"